Speakers..minor ones.!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Transmission line using 4" drivers.

Version 1:
This started of an experimental one...still to get some good drivers.The drivers in picture are pioneer 4" car speakers. (Were easily available and cheap. So i chose them and thot of experimenting..!) They sounded a little harsh as if there was a hump in response at around 3k to 5k. the imaging was superb but the high frequencies were over emphasised. Tried putting in a paper wizzer instead of the standerd polymer one but nothing improved. The low end also lacked the feel...it was sounding as if the cone was being limited by the suspension..!
( Incidentally my girl friend managed to burn one of the speakers.:))

Version 2:
now i've replaced the drivers with JBL. The sound is a lot better. More controlled...!
Wow! i must admit the low end is awesome for a 4" driver. The transient response seems good and sounded quite flat. The high frequency is a little rolled off and does not add any kind of unecessary sibilance to vocals. The Mid range is very authentic. I've not taken any kind of measurements yet, but hope to do it some time soon. Shall post photos later.

Version 3:
Hoping to upgrade the drivers to peerless or may be tangband is a good option, i believe, if i can get them! For in this part of the world there is a drought of good quality drivers.

Attachments

• 10029.jpg
    10029.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 605
Thank you Joe..!

well, initially i thought of going for a radius bend for it wud have been quite simple. But dint quite like the looks.It appeared rather bald..!!
So i went in for the mitter although it demanded some precision cutting. After finishing the mitre i made the inside quite smooth by filling the corners...Thought that would improve the sound character along with strengthening the joint.

Second reason was i was looking for a flawless outer surface.
A radius bend of the same dimensions as the pipe was not available in my neighborhood. The bends available wud fit the pipe such that the outer diameter of the pipe mated with the inner one of the bend...this created a rather disappointing look. SO decided against it..!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.