Nelson Pass: The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2012, 07:32 PM   #441
diyAudio Member

hi NS
sounds like the way to get the job done , interesting , how W did your baffle turn out to be ? any chance to see a pic ? it would be good to see the relationship with slot
thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 07:36 PM   #442
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am ordering the 6" Aura's from PE , cheap ~ 9 ea
Wow. Wish we had a company that has such a wide selection of factory buyout speakers in Europe. Shipping will probably be more than the drivers themselves.
Old 19th June 2012, 09:26 PM   #443
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
Wow. Wish we had a company that has such a wide selection of factory buyout speakers in Europe. Shipping will probably be more than the drivers themselves.
hi
They have free shipping on right now,,,,,,So go and have a lookPeerle ss- 12 ohm, 8" drivers,you might qualify
Old 19th June 2012, 10:20 PM   #444
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They have free shipping on right now,
Probably only to the contiguous states of the USA.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:53 PM   #445
diyAudio Member

NS .. can you tell me the size that your baffles ended up ?
I know that NP mentions that they are scaleable ...
the WAF thing is an issue here , I wonder if its feasible to have something like 18"w x 48" h & would they work in a way that makes it worthwhile ?
thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 11:21 PM   #446
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=bernard991;3066560]NS .. can you tell me the size that your baffles ended up ?
hi,
I made my slots at the baffle 2.25 " x 11" that's the opening I rounded the area between the slots so the actual size is 12" .
I have enclose a drawing,please excuse the messy artwork, I wish I had a drafting table ,lol.

The panels are 18" x 6' each, I did use 1" half round at the top and bottom of the slots ,and 1/4 round into the slot opening to the panels I ran one 6' piece per side , just like a picture frame would look.
I removed some plywood,I used a side grinder with a 6" abrasive layered sanding disc,was 60 grit,got it at the depo,to shave the area right at the cone edge to the slot ,I stopped about a 1' in from the edge,I built one slot with this shaved and one without ,get the grinder out and do this it helped the smoothness of the bass,I got the DATS for speaker measurements and when I learn what I need to know I will make some rough test as I am not a expert,I did run some test tones,and use my ears no dead spots or dropouts that I could hear,I played some Cher,ZZ top and Santana ,Iwas happy and had to turn down those amps,Belive by Cher didn't rattle the cones at all ,
,I'll try to finish those today so I can make a few pictures for you.
I like the sound I am getting from these and I have found about 12' apart is pretty good,anybody wants to jump in about optimum distance for slots,I'll listen......If I can help just ask! x2 ^5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img004.jpg (44.1 KB, 747 views)
Old 21st June 2012, 02:31 AM   #447
diyAudio Member

very nice I like it ! let us know how it all comes together
I appreciate you taking the time to impart that ..
I am looking forward to making some sawdust too ..I do wonder about the XO though
cheers
Old 16th July 2012, 06:14 AM   #448
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi, long time no see. Here are my recent works for bass units of the 3-channel system.

All 3 are slot-loaded, with 18" woofers. The central one has 2 drivers and arranged as push-pull. It's actually more like a pair of face-to-face shallow U-frames. That's for adapting the very-close-to-the-rear-wall positioning (for practical reason, no other option for the central sub). The rear lobe of the dipole is, I guess, more or less splited in 2 and becoming side-firing.

Click the image to open in full size.

On the left side, the smaller baffle is more like an ordinary OB (shallow U-frame), just with a slot shape baffle hole and rear mounted driver.
(the taller one is fiddled mid array, the lower 'slot' type hole on it is not for loading but dispersion and, simply maintaining the strength of the slim baffle)

On the right, it was originally used at center which I posted here. This unit was later modded to have a cardoid response, well, sort of. (The trick is simply a cardboard with some punched holes at the back. ) So, why difference between the left and right? The space itself is asymmetry, I need more bass energy at the emptier right side. More output of the cardiod could be good.

Overall view with the whole system:

These 3 bass units are wired as Linear Matrix. The new build is partially for the matrix which tends to be center-heavy. So I need more output at the center for such character...
Old 16th July 2012, 06:43 AM   #449
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

lovely!
Old 16th July 2012, 09:34 AM   #450
diyAudio Member

Very nice work CLS!

What 18"-drivers are you using?

Br

Gisle

Hide this!Advertise here!