Nelson Pass: The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2012, 05:12 PM   #431
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
This project is scalable. Can use smaller or large woofers
Doesn't have to be 3 pairs of drivers. You can use 1 pair, if you want.
Your results will vary depending on how low the drivers can go.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:06 PM   #432
diyAudio Member

thanks for that VDI
if I was to use 8 - 6" per side @8 ohms each any idea how to wire them up for driving them reasonably efficiently ?
Old 18th June 2012, 11:11 PM   #433
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
There is a paragraph in the article that better explains wiring for parallel or series.
Old 19th June 2012, 01:09 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

I'd wire two sets of four in parallel. Each set of four would be series parallel wired (two pairs of two) for 8 ohms per set. Parallel these for ~4 ohms final impedance.
Old 19th June 2012, 02:14 AM   #435
diyAudio Member

Talking how I wired them.....

hi,
I tried a few combinations and some speakers were louder or got over driven,Yes I am a POWER driver,lol.Sometimes I push them to see how much they will suffer before they distort or blow,but ,I found two ways to try ,That I liked.
1st I figured since you have 2 speakers facing each other and in one slot, they should work together so I have read this article about push pull ,well I think if it pushes and the other speaker pulls that only moves that volume of air,what does that do? I think not much,So I think instead if you wire them to both push,then you got 2 times push coming out the slot ,opposite when it pulls in.....So I have wired each 2 together and connected all of them for the impedance,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (134.4 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg img003.jpg (123.7 KB, 598 views)
Old 19th June 2012, 03:28 AM   #436
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

I think that there are other advantages to the push pull arrangement. The thread posted in the subwoofer section has a nice explanation of those advantages ... distortion cancellation being one of them.

I don't recall the author of that individual post within that thread but check it out. It's a good explanation and one that isn't intuitive ... until you read it at least
Old 19th June 2012, 05:31 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Puppet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
I think that there are other advantages to the push pull arrangement. The thread posted in the subwoofer section has a nice explanation of those advantages ... distortion cancellation being one of them.

I don't recall the author of that individual post within that thread but check it out. It's a good explanation and one that isn't intuitive ... until you read it at least
I'll take a look, I think I read about alot of different combo's of wiring them and my last way of using them in a positive pushes in and neg pulls out seems to sound the best,but I am always willing to try out Idea's from other members
I used the speakers that Nelson Pass recommended and I have 12 speakers per side,Have you tried any mods to these ,How did you make yours?
Thanks for the input
Old 19th June 2012, 03:30 PM   #438
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

noSmoking .. I haven't built one myself. I'm working on something else right now with OB.

I had thought about doing this or the other push/pull deal ... got it in my head that big woofers (for me) are "right". What I'm stuck on is the scaling of the enclosure in that regard. The slots get big (long). So I'm wondering if there is a "perfect" ratio for this or not. I'm not that smart so I'd have to experiment .. when I have more free time I guess.

Your project sounds nice. Hope it works out for you!
Old 19th June 2012, 06:18 PM   #439
diyAudio Member

thanks lads for many great ideas to sort through ...DIY !
I am ordering the 6" Aura's from PE , cheap ~ 9 ea
seems like a good place to start my experiments
...the other challenge I alluded to was the downsized baffles ...I have no doubt that it will not be easy to find the optimum balance of performance and the acceptance thing .
Old 19th June 2012, 07:02 PM   #440
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Bernard,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard991 View Post
thanks lads for many great ideas to sort through ...DIY !
I am ordering the 6" Aura's from PE , cheap ~ 9 ea
seems like a good place to start my experiments
...the other challenge I alluded to was the downsized baffles ...I have no doubt that it will not be easy to find the optimum balance of performance and the acceptance thing .
I changed the slot just a little from the original drawings ,The lines out from the speaker were parallel out the slot ,I tapered them just a little ,
I have understood that any standing waves are not a good thing,So to scale any size is a ez thing to do,I placed a speaker about 12 " from the front and drew the tapers from there,I don't have a formula but I get plenty low bass out of them ,so I'm happy with their out come,I also rounded the sides of the slot to the front,I built one speaker with rounded slots to the face panel and one not ,I didn't hear a difference .
I don't have the stuff to measure them yet,I like the sound so to me that's ok!

Hide this!Advertise here!