Nelson Pass: The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2011, 12:51 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

To follow up my previous post (#119). The implication is that the driver diaphragm actually will move less for a particular SPL than the same driver in free space must move. I submit that this is the source of most of the disagreement on the subject.

Jeremy
Old 5th September 2011, 01:15 AM   #122
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Article accessible from here

dave
Old 5th September 2011, 01:23 AM   #123
The one and only

Loving the thread, but mighty annoyed as I can't access Nelson's article: The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project Article By Nelson Pass Is this a problem at my end or is the website down?

Perhaps it was taken down for violating the laws of physics.

Old 5th September 2011, 01:24 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropf View Post
To follow up my previous post (#119). The implication is that the driver diaphragm actually will move less for a particular SPL than the same driver in free space must move. I submit that this is the source of most of the disagreement on the subject.

Jeremy
No, it is slightly more complicated than this.

The driver diaphram will move less, because of increased acoustic loading. The intertwined result is a lowering of back EMF, causing the impedance of the driver to go down, and therefore I to go up. More energy enters the driver and gets transferred into acoustic energy, but with less cone excursion. Like with horns and correctly tuned BR's.

vac
Old 5th September 2011, 01:26 AM   #125
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropf View Post
Actually, my point is fundamentally that the response is asymmetric. I don't
actually care whether it is more efficient on the whole.

If you want to decide that the front loading is causing less excursion of the
diaphragm and thus less output on the rear, that would be OK with me.
Old 5th September 2011, 01:31 AM   #126
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Link works fine for me in the USA.
Old 5th September 2011, 01:35 AM   #127
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocama View Post
If the pressure and the volume displacement are bigger in the front (the potential and kinetic energy) as you seem to think it is.
I think the volume displacement is essentially the same, as stated previously.

Old 5th September 2011, 01:40 AM   #128
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Let's come back to "DIY" portion of things.

This is what I've done during the weekend (when you guys were busy on debating...)

Click the image to open in full size.
They'd be lying on floor anyway, so i skipped one of the walls. The white stuff are foam strips for better sealing with floor. Simple, quick and dirty, my style

Click the image to open in full size.
The front(upper) baffle is not completed yet. That'll be provided by another section of the system. Despite short of baffle area, it's still workable.

The woofer is 18" (Sd=1140cm^2), the slot is 91cm wide by 5.5cm high (500cm^2), which is about 44% of Sd. With such aspect ratio, I guess the effect of 'compression' would be higher than the number suggests.

Old 5th September 2011, 01:48 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Have you measured the FS ?
Old 5th September 2011, 01:48 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

Location: Sitting behind the 'puter screen, in Illinois, USA, planet earth
Hi

I believe you will find that if one made a simple sealed box using the same size baffle and same number of drivers, one with and one without slot loading, that they would measure identically at the low frequency end as the “velocity transformation” is accompanied by a corresponding reduction in the area. The result is "slot loading" has essentially no effect on the radiation efficiency at low frequencies.

As sreten suggests, it will alter the directivity up high and higher up (at frequencies where the woofer spacing would produce a narrower pattern) , the depth of the port will produce a cancellation notch at frequencies where path length from the driver radiation to the closed end is N quarter wavelengths (the reflection returns 180 degrees later).
Also, the mass of air at the exit and compliance of the air in the slot form a resonator which the drivers are couple to and this is like the low pass filter in a band pass system. This adds a small extra mass to the total moving mass too.
This can provide a gain at the higher end of the spectrum as well as an acoustic low pass filter. Now your entering horn territory.
Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

Hide this!Advertise here!