Nelson Pass: The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
where do I put the Steinway?

Sell it and build a dedicated listening room. ;)

Being single can suck sometimes, but sometimes it's alright!

Attachments

• OBs_0.jpg
    OBs_0.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 11,745
Interesting idea. Of course i am wondering if size of slot is optimal and if there are even ways of figuring it out? I also can't help but wonder how two 15" drivers per baffle would sound simply facing forward compared to the slotted system.

I wonder if the speaker can be slimmed down by bending the sides of those wide baffles? May not help the Lowther's response but would it hurt the 'bass system's' response? I can picture 8 or more woofers from floor to ceiling in corners filling a room with incredible bass while maintaining a slim footprint.

Thanks for sharing. It's probably a good idea. Hopefully others will wrap their minds around this and move the idea forward.

I need coffee!

hi,
I looked at the amt-3 from Nelsons build,got a question? A picture from the front of a built speaker would tell me ,but is there one slot for each 2 facing drivers ? like 2 drivers in one slot,so you have 3 slots?or is there just one big slot 2.25"X30, I don't know if it would matter too much,the pressure comes out of the slot when they push and back in when it pulls,Thanks!!!!!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Each driver set have their own slot, the exit of the slots should be rounded to reduce turbulence.
If you think about it, it matters, because the driver need to built pressure to force out the sound wave. The high pressure in the front and low pressure out the back reduce cancellation.

BTW-
Is noSmoking from a Dean Koonz noval?

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for the info ,I have 12 speakers and some dayton foil caps on the way they are all on sale,speakers were $7 and the caps about $2 each,PE,,,,I will layout some plans to build them,,,,The NoSmoking thing is a joke,I used to taunt the new tek's about letting out the blue smoke so they nicked named me NoSmoking,lol.
I want to run 4 mids per cabinet and 4 or more ribbion tweeters with maybe a couple of soft domes to smooth out the top end,I have a decware home wrecker with 2 peavey 18" in them,lol.
So a little at a time,
Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.