Nelson Pass: The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I've been down with a serious case of the flu the last few days, spending time in bed fantasizing of french nurses barely dressed..

Anyway, some more pictures... my appoligies for not delivering up to the standards of some of the forum members here; hifi and photography obviously go hand ind hand still! But I have only two hands, both occupied with creating speakers so please bear with me.

1. Front bottom, chassis made from CNC'ed 1 1/4" aluminium, anodized black.
2. Tower of Power, standing next to some temporary sattelites for testing.
3. A look inside the slot....

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,974
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,943
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,885
i thought you had a leica :D

still, looks very good good!
i guess the jmlc horns doesn't go low enough for use with the SLOBs?
still using GPA 515 woofers?

Well, a lot of my friends have Leica's, my wife has got Leica's but personally I haven't developed any serious interest in photography and probably never will!

Concerning frequency range I have barely started testimg, waiting for some parts to get going so I really don't know the behaviour above 150 Hz, the current xover freq. That being said, there are some nasty TRUE 180 Hz horns coming my way later this year, so I'm not too concerned.

Really nice result Pengesluk. Keep on posting pics! Happy with the result compared to the other ob you had?
What kind of driver do you have in mind for 180hz horns?

Jan

Happy? Absolutely. Endless and effortless power, combined with speed and attack all the way down to very low listening leves, and that is truly important and difficult to obtain. Shure, a lot of money involved but bass like this you need to go to a very well set up concert to match.

180 Hz horns will be seeing ALE drivers later this year.

Hi Slo, good to see you! Just finished 3 straight hours of listening - almost got thrown out of the chair on a couple of occasions! Scary power, and who said OB bass can't be physical? I went to see my nephews band rehearse yesterday, and that bass drum pounding my chest was pretty similar to what I have at home.

How about me sharing the cost of these babies with you? $ 25.000 and a couple of hours of research, planning and engineering..

All in due time, Audio.

I guess a "OMG" would be inadequate right now?
At least u live up 2 ur name (Which means "moneydrain" for the non-norwegian" :warped: )
I'm considering something ala yours, but a little more discrete with (only) 2x15 pr side.
Having a little listen to Yggdrasill's PC-monitors, i know there might be a future for "slots" at my place :cheers:

Hi, tried to find what you are using to drive your OBs, but didn't see an amp referenced in your last few posts. What amp are you using?

I'm using the F5, which is good, but would like more weight on the bass.

Thanks,

Vince

Power for the bass system is delivered via 2 x bridged Accuphase A50V delivering some 200W of Class A power into 4 ohm loads. I started with one, but then I found a second in my surplus box... And 200W seems just about right.

No room nodes of any kind, and unlike my regular OB bass system the energy is more evenly spread throughout the room, but the focus is still on the sweetspot, only this time that immense energy covers 3-4 feet instead of two.

Hi Slo, good to see you! Just finished 3 straight hours of listening - almost got thrown out of the chair on a couple of occasions! Scary power, and who said OB bass can't be physical? I went to see my nephews band rehearse yesterday, and that bass drum pounding my chest was pretty similar to what I have at home.

Hey, maybe you need seatbelts on the listening chair! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.