LS3/5A, are there... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Mr. dB is offline Mr. dB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LS3/5A, are there...

Are there any published designs with currently available drivers that will fit in the LS3/5A cabinet?
Old 1st September 2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

I havent seen anything out there. Considering the price that LS3/5A's go for these days, I think most people would be buying second-hand original drivers to rebuild and sell complete. Do you still have the original crossovers?
Old 1st September 2011, 09:41 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. dB View Post
Are there any published designs with currently available drivers that will fit in the LS3/5A cabinet?
My millSize cabinets are about the same size as LS3/5A. they could be adapted for an LS3/5A cab, but taking the effort to restore them* would likely net you a profit.

milliSize me...

Most are one way, but a 2-way is in the works (CHBW70.3 + ERT26 with a series XO by DaveR)

dave

*(http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/show...l=1#post578037)
Old 1st September 2011, 01:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
I havent seen anything out there. Considering the price that LS3/5A's go for these days, I think most people would be buying second-hand original drivers to rebuild and sell complete. Do you still have the original crossovers?
I don't have a pair of vintage cabinets, I've just seen decent quality replica boxes for sale from various sources, and was wondering if there were any current projects that would fit...
Old 1st September 2011, 02:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: LS3/5A, are there...

Jeff Bagby did a LS3/5A design called the Continuum (sic). It's a commercial design, but he has been known to share the design with others on a case-by-case basis. He hangs out on the Parts-Express Techtalk forum.

Where did you find sources for the cabinet?

Regards.....
Old 1st September 2011, 06:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The cabinets pop up on eBay on about a weekly basis. Some are from China and some from Moldova, but if the feedback is to be trusted, buyers are getting them.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernperkins View Post
Jeff Bagby did a LS3/5A design called the Continuum (sic). It's a commercial design, but he has been known to share the design with others on a case-by-case basis. He hangs out on the Parts-Express Techtalk forum.
That one looks like just the ticket! Except for the non-published part...
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
there are ads in MJ, for the original LS3/5a drivers, NOS ...

MJ audio

fairaudio - leserbericht: Hörerfahrungen mit Kompakt-Lautsprecher Jungson LS 3/5a - Technik und Historisches

Last edited by tomtt; 2nd September 2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 5th September 2012, 04:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I really want these speakers to sound better than the new KEF updated "clone" of the LS3/5a. I'd much rather buy from this new developer, Jay Bagby, than KEF, which doesn't need the money.

Any chance for a shootout between Jay's current revision of his updated to the second decade of the twenty first century LS3/5A to which KEF lays claims to for the LS-50.(an updated superior version of the original) Perhaps throw in some of the various original LS3/5a and some other clones of the LS3/5a, some of which claim to be legiitimate (but which are unlicensed by the BBC). Jeff nor KEF make this claim but some of the other makers like GINI and some others do, illegitimately so I might add. Mayber even make it a blind test with some of the LS3/5a. This could make for a very interesting "test" and perhaps all the particpating makers could benefit in some way.
Old 5th September 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The Jeff Bagby Continuum System (his LS3/5a 'clone' called the Continuum and a subwoofer) recently won the open unlimited class at the 2012 Midwest Audio Fest in Dayton, OH. Very impressive sound with the sub filling in the bass. Some details and a photo at:

Parts Express "Your Game Day Headquarters" Sales Flyer featuring Audio/Video and Speaker Building Products. (Prices good 8/30/2012 thru thru 10/31/2012)

A parts kit for the Continuum monitors is available for $353 per pair from Meniscus at:

Continuum, Pr

Click also the pdf on the Meniscus link to see Jeff's write-up and measurements on his design.

With Jeff's kit you build the cabinet or possibly use the Parts-Express 0.25 cu. ft (7 liters) boxes.

Last edited by Jim Griffin; 5th September 2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: correction

Hide this!Advertise here!