LS3/5A, are there...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to sreten I did a bit of searching and came across this, which would answer pretty precisely the needs of the original question.

Audiocostruzioni - Il Portale dell'alta fedelt amatoriale

Incidentally, I have used "electricalmate" in the past as a good source for Monacor drivers in Britain; they seemed to have become "Audio Mate".

Hi,

Seems a relatively clueless "clone" and nothing like a LS3/5A.
BSC is ignored AFAICT and there is not much to like about the x/o.
TBH as drawn with 0.42mH in series with the treble it looks very wrong.
(Unless they are breaking the rules of proper circuit layout,
and crossing wires means a junction, still its very poor.)

I'd look for something a lot better designed.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Are there any decent LS3/5a clones that use the Monacor SPH 130?

Stirling Broadcast used a different Monacor woofer in their LS3/5A for a time, and they may still pop up on eBay in kit form. I think their woofer was the SPH-135TC, or similar anyway.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Stirling now use a custom SEAS woofer in their V2 model, which is not available in kit form.

Are there any published designs with currently available drivers that will fit in the LS3/5A cabinet?

The Jordan Eikona 2 works very well in this cabinet, with almost ideal sealed box loading and a response down to 80Hz. Here it is in the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a enclosure

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The original question was for a design that would work in a LS3/5a box,

Since Colin has brought FRs to the table, we have a miniOnken design essentially the same volume as the LS3/5A that supports a variety of FR drivers with only changes in the detail of the venting.

Mark Audio A7.3/A6p, CHR70/CHN70, Fostex FF105/125wk plus a wide number of discontinued drivers.

dave

Other options in LS3/5A sized cabinets....

Another option is modifying the driver. I used a Dayton RS150P in a LS3/5A sized enclosure for the DIYRM-A. With a little added mass to the cone to shift the FS where I wanted, the result works very well when done properly. Pages 36-37 of the design guide linked below detail the impact of the added mass.

-Scott

Last edited:
I always follow the BBC LS3/5A threads with a certain amazement! :)

No doubt the BBC got so many aspects right, but it's the attempt to recreate a seriously flawed speaker that gets me wondering.

Firstly the box was too small. 8L makes more sense than 5L unless you like a lumpy rather than almost non-existent bass. It does make sense to add more bituminous cabinet damping to the smaller panels to balance things up. Smaller panels move less, so need more added damping mass.

Troels Gravesen hits a lot a of spots with this design:
Peerless HDS PPB 830860

5" reflex polycone, and a better ring-radiator tweeter than the zobelled KEF T27 dome mylar tweeter. TBH, I think reflex is OK with compact cabinets, which don't interact with the room much.

There's a lot to be said for getting the cabinet size right. 18L suits a 6" bass much better than 12L, as I show below with the 18L Rotel RL850 versus the unsatisfactory smaller 12L Mordaunt Short MS15. They used the same 6" Elac bass unit AFAIK.

But possibly, what makes the BBC LS3/5A special is the third order 18db/octave crossover in either polarity. It has very good dispersion IMO.

Attachments

• MS15_Final.jpg
    MS15_Final.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Rotel RL850.JPG
    Rotel RL850.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 198
I always follow the BBC LS3/5A threads with a certain amazement! :)

No doubt the BBC got so many aspects right, but it's the attempt to recreate a seriously flawed speaker that gets me wondering.

I am hoping that this thread does not drift to a discussion of LS3/5a clones, which has been done to death. The question seems to be that you have, or are making a pair of LS3/5a enclosures, and what design could utilise them.

So with the mini Onken suggestion, can that work, given that the usable width of the baffle, between the beech battens is just over 13cm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.