LS3/5A, are there...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Are there any published designs with currently available drivers that will fit in the LS3/5A cabinet?

My millSize cabinets are about the same size as LS3/5A. they could be adapted for an LS3/5A cab, but taking the effort to restore them* would likely net you a profit.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/154103-millisize-me.html

Most are one way, but a 2-way is in the works (CHBW70.3 + ERT26 with a series XO by DaveR)

dave

*(http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/38470-Damaged-LS-3-5a?p=578037&viewfull=1#post578037)

I havent seen anything out there. Considering the price that LS3/5A's go for these days, I think most people would be buying second-hand original drivers to rebuild and sell complete. Do you still have the original crossovers?

I don't have a pair of vintage cabinets, I've just seen decent quality replica boxes for sale from various sources, and was wondering if there were any current projects that would fit...

Jeff Bagby did a LS3/5A design called the Continuum (sic). It's a commercial design, but he has been known to share the design with others on a case-by-case basis. He hangs out on the Parts-Express Techtalk forum.

Where did you find sources for the cabinet?

Regards.....

I really want these speakers to sound better than the new KEF updated "clone" of the LS3/5a. I'd much rather buy from this new developer, Jay Bagby, than KEF, which doesn't need the money.

Any chance for a shootout between Jay's current revision of his updated to the second decade of the twenty first century LS3/5A to which KEF lays claims to for the LS-50.(an updated superior version of the original) Perhaps throw in some of the various original LS3/5a and some other clones of the LS3/5a, some of which claim to be legiitimate (but which are unlicensed by the BBC). Jeff nor KEF make this claim but some of the other makers like GINI and some others do, illegitimately so I might add. Mayber even make it a blind test with some of the LS3/5a. This could make for a very interesting "test" and perhaps all the particpating makers could benefit in some way.

The Jeff Bagby Continuum System (his LS3/5a 'clone' called the Continuum and a subwoofer) recently won the open unlimited class at the 2012 Midwest Audio Fest in Dayton, OH. Very impressive sound with the sub filling in the bass. Some details and a photo at:

Parts Express "Your Game Day Headquarters" Sales Flyer featuring Audio/Video and Speaker Building Products. (Prices good 8/30/2012 thru thru 10/31/2012)

A parts kit for the Continuum monitors is available for $353 per pair from Meniscus at:

Continuum, Pr

Click also the pdf on the Meniscus link to see Jeff's write-up and measurements on his design.

With Jeff's kit you build the cabinet or possibly use the Parts-Express 0.25 cu. ft (7 liters) boxes.

Last edited:
I wonder if Jeff would consider going to a different form of promoting his speaker by charging for the kit plans as Siegfried Linkwitz did with his desings.. I am a proud owner of a pair of Linkwitz Orion speakers and very much like Jeff's attempts to market the speaker through US channels. Siegfried sells the plans and the boards (since his design is an active design that uses an analog crossover for the required six channels to amplify the (now) eight drivers used in the Orion. (two in the Pluto) Although it took quite a few years for Seigfried to gain a sufficient following that he has now licensed Wood Artistry as the sole builder, anyone who wants to look at the plans before they attempt to plunge into this complicated project, users who have purchased the plans get the link to a web link to his site that details upgrades and changes as they have occurred (and there have been many). Since Jeff's design is likely to be less complicated that Siegfried's, I suspect Jeff couldn't get as much for the plans and the boards that one needs to build the speaker. However, as far as I know, there have been no "leaks" and the design is known only to those who have purchased the plans. Siegfried does not allow anyone to purchase the plans unless that person purchases the cpompleted speakers as well. At that point the licensed purchaser of the plans and speakers becomes the new licensed owner of the speaker and the plans (and the many suggestions and suggestions Mr. Linkwitz makes for instance, when in one instance, Panasonic quit manufacturing some of the parts on the crossover necessitating new suppliers for those parts. I would be very much interested in these plans but also eyeing another speaker that is modeled on the LS3/5a by a British manufacturer. I am aware I can buy a complete system build for $1200 by one of Jeff's partnering companies but perhaps Siegfried's method of marketing which involves selling the plans fairly inexpensively but supporting the user until the speaker is either discontinued or some other unforseen event arises. '

As many may know, the design has become so successful that it is going to become a true commercial product sold exclusively by Wood Artistry. Wood Artistry also sells various parts of the design, from knock down wooden cabinet kits to completed ASP (the active analog signaprocessor). One reason I inteerested is I have long admired the LS3/5a and owned a pair for years.

There is also the user created and supported website for both of Siegfried's current designs, the Orion and the Pluto, which are both active speakers. I'm not advocating any of Siegfried's designs over Jeff's, I'm just suggesting a way so that potential builders could get some idea of what the build requires (and upgrades that some users may like, which in the case of the Orion, led to some design changes at the suggestions of a few loyal fans) and the promise of future support should this design changed in the future.

I hope this isn't taken as a criticism but it could perhaps leader to better market penetration and also lead those of us who like to tinker with the design to not have to use preselected parts before they commit to a kit.

Incidentally, If I do build this design, I'd want to buy or have a cabinet maker use the plans for this speaker using solid maple as I suspect that contributes the the good sound that I have heard these speakers have.

By the way, the support site for the orions and the Pluto is at orion.quicksytes.com. It would be great to have a site like that one for every sucessful speaker kit that around. Some parts are the site are "restricted" for registered owners but that should give folks a more complete picture of my suggestion.

Catching up with this as I am researching a LS3/5a project …

As linked by Midrange, Stirling do complete replacements sets of drivers.

Malcolm Jones at Falcon Acoustics helped design the original B110 driver and Falcon have now produced a B110 replacement. They have LS3/5a kits available in various stages, including crossovers and cabinets.

LS3/5a cabinet kits, drivers, crossovers and parts.

If you can get it, try this.... The lowest Fs 5" woofer existing, perfect fit to a 5-6 liter sealed box. You must tame the peak at 6 kHz, but besides that it is an excellent sounding little woofer. I don't have any idea whether it is still available, when it was, its price was around 20 Euros in my country. It is made by Hi-Vi

Attachments

• YT5N8.jpg
    YT5N8.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 565
  • Hi-VI YT5N8 5.5 liter sealed box.png
    Hi-VI YT5N8 5.5 liter sealed box.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 560
  • YT5N.pdf
    113.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I was looking at the specs of the Monacor SPH 130. They are quite close to the KEF B110.
Vas B110 23.6 litre......SPH130 22 litre
Qt B110 0.31 SPH130 0.31
Fr B110 38Hz SPH130 38Hz
They ought to fit a LS3/5a box pretty perfectly, and the FR looks miles better. Has anyone tried them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.