Sonotube (Formatube) supplier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I hope it's not against protocol to dig up old threads...

Anyway, I know Jye got his off Boral, But I'm in Sydney, and trying to find some.

Has anyone in Sydney had any luck? I have tried a few Boral offices here, but none know about this stuff, or if they do, they don't know where I can go and get it.

Our local big hardware chain here is Bunnings, but they don't stock it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Just make sure that you get the genuine Sonotube, or something like it.

Over here, lots of hardware chains stock cardboard forms for concrete, but they are far too flimsy to use for loudspeaker enclosures.

This pdf gives you the wall thickness of Sonotube:
http://www.sonoco.com/resources/fibreforms.pdf

Another part of the site gives an email for a local distributor. If he is not the international distributor, he should be able to tell you who is:
mitch.ingram@sonoco.com

Since Sonoco makes lots of stuff, be sure to specify Sonotube in your message. Good luck. :)

Hi Ross,

Its tuff stuff to track down, did you try Boral Formwork & Scaffolding?

Another good source is construction sites. The other day I saw a piece about 1m in diameter and in length on the side of the road, I was about to take it but there was no way I was going to get away without someone seeing me trying to stuff it in the back of my laser :D :D ....it would have made a great table sub

Good luck
Jye

I spoke with Boral (Glenn - really helpful guy - even warned me about the wax coating) today, to their Head Office of sorts at Revesby (NSW). They advised that the minimum diametre they stock of Formatube is 250mm.

A 3 metre lenth of 500mm diametre is AUS$102.16 + GST (10%).
Delivery would be an extra $60, but I might be able to borrow a mate's hatchback and fold all the seats down and stick it out the back hatch.

The guy was really nice...he laughed when I said it was for a subwoofer...he said it was the third enquiry recently about the stuff for that purpose.

Hi,

I'm building a sonotube at the moment and have purchased from Melbourne just the other week. The guy from formatube reiterated that they are the sole distributor of this 'Formatube' who have their office in Melbourne. It actually has 'by Sonotube' no the exterior.

The website is http://www.thetubeworks.com.au/forma.htm

I was going suggest that you email them and ask who the distributor in Sydney and Brisbane is? Cost if they're supplying it to construction firms all over Aus they're bound to have distributors in the major capitals.

Cheers
Rod

Jye said:
Hi Ross,

Its tuff stuff to track down, did you try Boral Formwork & Scaffolding?

Another good source is construction sites. The other day I saw a piece about 1m in diameter and in length on the side of the road, I was about to take it but there was no way I was going to get away without someone seeing me trying to stuff it in the back of my laser :D :D ....it would have made a great table sub

Good luck
Jye

That would have been an offcut of which I'm sure they would have liked you helping them with their rubbish :)

rnoble said:

The website is http://www.thetubeworks.com.au/forma.htm

I was going suggest that you email them and ask who the distributor in Sydney and Brisbane is? Cost if they're supplying it to construction firms all over Aus they're bound to have distributors in the major capitals.

Cheers
Rod

Well, at first I had the sizing wrong (I was saying 50cm diametre, and they were saying "nah, smallest we got is 250", but he was talking in millimetres - stupid me), and it was actually suggested to contact Tubeworks.

I was told that during an industrial dispute, this guy did a client a favour, and had product couriered up from Tubeworks in Victoria, to Sydney, and it was worth the cost of the courier.

I'll have to contact them and see if they do in fact have a distributor in Sydney.

Incidentally, what size did you get, and if I may ask, how much was it from Tubeworks? 3 metre minimum?

We had a good look for offcuts - of which he was going to give me a good price but the longest bit we could find was 500mm which wasn't long enough for me.

So he cut a metre off a 4m length (they can still sell 3m lengths).

It was $50 for the metre - a premium but there were no offcuts! It was 508mm diameter. I'm building a 122L (Q .707) sealed 15" Tempest sub. Pics will be following shortly on this site somewhere, I'm up to laminating the top piece.

Build diary can be seen here

I've heard with the T-Nuts, you are better off glueing a piece harder wood, even ply, to the MDF, and place the t-nut into that, which will stop the t-nut shredding the MDF and spinning...

Rodney, I'll be watching with interest....I'm also doing a tempest, with hopefully 500mm (or 508mm) Tube. I just have to work out the length etc. I think I'll go sealed to start with.

I've done some tests of the spikey nuts already. Just plugged them in then started tightening the cap screw. The nut itself just won't budge - the first thing to move is the compression of the mdf between the cap screw and the nut.

The point for this was that the integrity of the sealed unit that for me was a priority, which, in conjunction with some horror stories about TNuts slipping, led me to look for other options.

IKEA furniture is also a great idea's respository for nuts/screws etc. As far as fixing goes they have a great 'round' nut which is slid in sideways to the baffle.

Ross - yeah I went sealed unit as well, it's my first project so wanted to keep things as simple as possible.

Hi Ross

A 3 metre length of 500mm diameter is AUS$102.16 + GST (10%).
Delivery would be an extra $60, but I might be able to borrow a mate's hatchback and fold all the seats down and stick it out the back hatch.

That’s a good price; cost me about $150 for a 3m length. I ended up cutting it into 3 rough lengths to fit it in my laser, 1 in the passenger sit and the other 2 in the back with the hatch still open. Had to drive from the north side of Brisbane through the city to my place on the south side with the sit pashed forward and my knees up around my chest. What makes it worse is that I am 6'4":cannotbe:

Jye

Hmmm...I'll have to get out the measuring tape and see how far out the back of my mate's pulsar it'd stick....I'd rather not cut it out there, though maybe in half would be okay.

Did they cut it for you? If not, what did you use to cut it? Just a hand saw?

I'm just about to hunt down some of this for a build.

Does anyone know of a source in Sydney, or do I just ring Tubeworks and Boral and enquire?

I need 2 different diameters, 400mm and 250mm so if anyone here is interested in splitting some, please let me know as I don't need the 3m min size of each.

kelticwizard said:
Just make sure that you get the genuine Sonotube, or something like it.

Over here, lots of hardware chains stock cardboard forms for concrete, but they are far too flimsy to use for loudspeaker enclosures.

This pdf gives you the wall thickness of Sonotube:
http://www.sonoco.com/resources/fibreforms.pdf

Another part of the site gives an email for a local distributor. If he is not the international distributor, he should be able to tell you who is:
mitch.ingram@sonoco.com

Since Sonoco makes lots of stuff, be sure to specify Sonotube in your message. Good luck. :)

An alternative, if the tube is a bit thin, would be: use two different diameters to form the inner and outer mold, then, fill concrete between the two and make a cylindrical concrete enclosure. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.