8 ohms woofer plus 4 ohms tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi stf92,
There are quite a number of designs that have 8 ohm woofer and 4 ohm tweeters. If your amp can handle 4 ohm loads properly, you're fine.

The impedance fluctuation of dynamic drivers, especially woofers, are quite huge. Some drivers may be rated at 8 ohm but their impedance rises to say 50ohm at high frequency and that's all right. Your mileage may vary but I would say matching a 4 ohm tweeter to an 8 ohm woofer is reasonable.

Thanks for your kind reply. The amp will be a TDA7294 integrated circuit. I was just looking for the data sheets I keep in my desk, and do not find them. I'll look at the web.

I think what matters is the amp output impedance vs freq, although I do not think such a curve will be in the data sheets. Well, you've given me the fundamental advice: amp must be able to drive 4 ohms. Thanks a lot.

A curious statement on circuits, in particular about crossovers.

Hi: This statement refers to a circuit you'll be able to see here. The rightmost branch, that containing C3, I will cut it so we are speaking of the series combination of C2, R3 and VC3. For all I know from circuit analysis, any permutation of those three components, for instance R3, C2, VC3 won't make any difference at any point in the circuit.

But, as is logical, I acknowledge there are people who knows more than I do. Can somebody tell me whether I am wrong?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.