sb acoustics mid woofer 5" vs 6"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I bought 2 months ago two sb acoustics speakers 8" SB23NRXS45-8

The cabinets for them have about 50 liters and even though Vas is 94 liters, the low frequencies are exceptional, I'm very pleased with it.

Now I would like to make a cabinet about 15 liters with one of the folowing speakers:

5" SB15NRXC30-8 - vas 20,7 liters, 50w
SB Acoustics :: 5" SB15NRXC30-8
or
6" SB17NRXC35-8 - vas 44,5 liters, 60w
SB Acoustics :: 6" SB17NRXC35-8

on graphis it's a 3-4 dB difference between them on the amplitude chart

I do not believe that I know enough to make good simulations with popular programs, so I don't know which one would perform better at 35-40 Hz, on a 15 liter cabinet.

The price is almost equal, 56 euro for the 5", and 62 euro for 6".

5" or 6"?

Thanks.

I have used the 5", it measures exactly as per the spec sheet on an IEC baffle and I was able to make it VERY flat on an actual baffle. I haven't used the 6", but I have heard it, also quite a nice driver.

Is the 5" driver enough for a small room party let's say 40 square meters?

When I bought the 8" I did not realised how powerfull it is, and how big is a 50 liter (inside) cabinet, almost 70 liters (exteriour). The sound is verry good, but I do not listen to more than 2-5 watts except at parties.

This is why I would like something small, but with good sound.

The cabinet for the 6" is also big, I think minimum 25 liter inside, this could be 32-33 the exteriour, I it was ok for a column, But I want something to put on my desk, not near it.

I have already seen a 5" use as a party speaker ;)
It was a carbon 5" in a RCF speaker. RCF is known for PA speakers.
The problem with small driver is the amplifier must be enough powerful to handle correctly the driver.

With the SB 5" you can achieve near 100dB SPL enough for a party. The problem could be bass output but if you limit it, no problem.

NB: For 15L the 6" is Ok. The kit use a 15L box http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/products/kits/eka/

Last edited:
I have already seen a 5" use as a party speaker ;)
It was a carbon 5" in a RCF speaker. RCF is known for PA speakers.
The problem with small driver is the amplifier must be enough powerful to handle correctly the driver.

With the SB 5" you can achieve near 100dB SPL enough for a party. The problem could be bass output but if you limit it, no problem.

NB: For 15L the 6" is Ok.

This is what I was wondering.
In the same box 15-16L, which one would produce a better low frequencies?

The job is done. Sb acoustics 5" into 12 liter box. The sound is good, it's enough for my 20meter room. The interesting fact is that even though they are small, the sound has deepness, close to my ex 8" visaton drivers, and these much smaller.

The two 8" sb acoustics drivers, are now into 45 liter cabinets, and ready for party, to boost the bass when will be needed, but for now they are unplagged.

Thank's for the tips.

Excellent :cool:
A party in 20m² :eek: Sure it should be hot :D

You don't play as loud as i play music :D. A 5" is not enough i pump up the volume :D but i'm not yet completely deaf

Stop joking, pay attention to cut the low frequency for the 5" ;)

20m2 has my room, this room is just for 2-3some party :))

I've done a separate imput in wich I've put a 45u capacitor, to filter a little the low frequences. These 2 speakers cost about 125 euro, and the bipolar capacitor only 1-2 euro, so it was stupid not to make that entry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.