Vinyl wrapping - which vinyl?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to order some vinyl from US Cutter since they are local and have pretty much every type of vinyl I can find. My question is, what vinyl should I use to wrap my speakers? I want a matte black finish and was looking at Oracal 651 @$20/10yds. When I called them, the man recommended using Oracal 751 cast vinyl since the 651 is calendared and could shrink/expand with temperature. The 751 is double the price @$40/10yds. I'm not sure which to go with since I'm really tight on my budget for this project. Will the 651 work on speakers as long as they're indoors?

I would go with the 751. Its easier around curves, can be heated to make odd corners, and as your guy said, wont peel from shrinkage or bubble.

The 651 is throw away stuff meant for temp sign usage. It also has memory so if you find a dimple on your setup you will not be able to iron/heat gun it out, in fact heat will make the dimple pop back into shape.

Your next goal is to make the stuff stick. I would start by coating the mdf in a 50/50 mix of pva glue and water to seal the mdf and give the glue something to stick to. Ask your guy what glue to use and if they sell it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.