What is the ideal directivity pattern for stereo speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nothing. As far as I'm concerned that reference is talking a load of twaddle in this particular quote :D

I'm entirely with you on that one. The quote is completely wrong. The reasoin that our hearing has not developed very well above say 8 kHz is because of the extreme amount of HF absortion in the air at these frequencies. Hence, with distance, the HF response tends to fall, not increase. In a large auditorium, air absorption at 10 KHz is greater than the absorption at the walls and almost nothing above 8-10 KHz exists in the reverb field. At some distances even the direct field is strongly affected.

wider dispersion (omni in their case) has a wider sweetspot but it has "the disadvantage of reduced sharpness of localization".

Of course this is true, an omni in a reverb chamber would have a seet spot everywhere. It would also have no imaging capability at all. To me thats a non-starter. Imaging is critical and spaciousness is desirable, but not the other way arround.

Last edited:
Of course this is true, an omni in a reverb chamber would have a seet spot everywhere. It would also have no imaging capability at all. To me thats a non-starter. Imaging is critical and spaciousness is desirable, but not the other way arround.

I think this is one of those issues where people have different tastes and priorities. I clearly remember the spatial impression I heard when I went to a performance of an orchestra in a large auditorium for the first time, a few months ago. The "image" you hear isn't sharp at all, but you can clearly hear the effects of the hall. Sharpness of imaging then, is not very important for realistic reproduction at home; spaciousness, on the other hand, is important for reproduction in this case.

Last week on Monday I listened to keyser's highly directional speakers. When I heard a band playing outdoors the next day, I concluded that the sharp imaging I heard on the speakers can be considered desirable for faithful reproduction (although I do miss a little spaciousness and "fullness" of timbre with his design).

In a nutshell, I think the order of these priorities may well depend on musical tastes and your live references. I do, however, believe that any polar pattern should approach Constant Directivity. In my experience, speakers with fairly increasing directivity didn't do the trick (as far as correct timbre is concerned).

Nothing. As far as I'm concerned that reference is talking a load of twaddle in this particular quote :D

Yes, the first quote has me scratching my head. Unless the source is large relative to the observation distance (i.e. you are in the near field) than it should fall off 6dB per...

The rest of the paper is a nice readable summary of the topic.

David S.

Of course this is true, an omni in a reverb chamber would have a seet spot everywhere. It would also have no imaging capability at all.

and here is how it actually sounds as reported by a Grammy winning, legendary producer (Bob Olhsson, posted by Him at gearslutz forum):

Dave Moulton did a simple demo for me in a bare room that turns most of what we thought we knew about acoustic treatment and imaging right on its ear.

He had designed some speakers that deliver a flat response across 180 degrees. The imaging in the bare room was holographic, among the best I've ever heard.

The problem with room tuning and early reflection absorption is that they are oversimplifications that have little to do with how we actually hear.

underlines mine

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting quotes, graaf.

I have to say that many of the well implemented omnis I've heard had astonishingly good imaging. They were never anywhere near the walls, tho. So maybe they were truly CD at the listening position and reflections were late enough not to be a bother.

Graaf, you already quoted that part in post #509. Have you ever heard a speaker that has high directivity? I suppose not, because otherwise you would not keep repeating yourself over and over. There are many things we can disagree about, but anyone who has heard high directivity speakers would tell you they image more precisely than omni's.

I have to say that many of the well implemented omnis I've heard had astonishingly good imaging. They were never anywhere near the walls, tho. So maybe they were truly CD at the listening position and reflections were late enough not to be a bother.

In my experience, in a 'normal' room, nothing images as sharply as high directivity speakers. Mind you, I'm not saying I don't enjoy listening to anything but high directivity speakers, I'm only saying they have the sharpest imaging. I'm also not saying wider dispersion speaker can't have good imaging. I've listened to the Linkwitz Pluto's a couple times and they had pretty good imaging too. But they were always far from the walls and I was sitting relatively close to the speakers. I'm quite convinced though, that strong direct sound and a sufficient Initial Time Delay Gap (ITDG) help to make imaging more precise/sharp.

In my experience wider dispersion speakers setup in a conventional way (i.e. maybe about 1 meter from the sidewalls) can have nice and broad imaging, with a lush sound. They can't have very sharp imaging.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good points. Maybe omnis need a lot of space for any sort of precise imaging.
Still wish I knew what was going on with those Ohm/Walsh rebuilds I heard. They had very precise imaging, that's what was so striking about them. In the top 5 I've ever heard, easily.

---
Last weekend I did some of those imaging tests with Markus' pink noise samples.

I currently have the luxury of a dedicated listening room a little over 3.4m high, about 4.5m wide and 6.5m long. The speakers are quite directional (see signature) and they're setup symmetrically across the length of the room, a little under one meter from the sides and about 1.80 from the rear. The sofa is between 2.5 an 3 meters from the back, the speakers are crossed a little in front of the listening position (probably about 0.5m) and the ipsilateral sidewall reflection accurs at close to 90 degrees off-axis. The room is fairly live. I measured RT30 with ARTA and it shows that from 500 hz to 8 khz RT30 decreases smoothly from about 0.5s to 0.4s. Below 500 hz it increases to about 0,65, to decrease again below about 200 hz, to about 0.3 below in the bass.

* Correlated Pink Noise Full-spectrum sounds centred but also somewhat broad. Moving my head left or right causes the timbre of the noise to sound lower in frequency. Moving forward also causes the noise to sound lower (maybe because I'm getting closer to the speaker's axis), but to a much lesser extent. Moving only a little sideways causes the image to shift to the nearest speaker. When I get to a little over a foot, it's almost entirely located in the nearest speaker.

* Correlated Pink Noise 1500 hz HP sounds just as centered, but a bit more compact. Moving my head sideways causes it to sound a bit phasey, but once I kept my head still again, the phaseyness went away. The shifting of the image to the nearer speaker was similar to what happened with the full-range noise.

* Correlated Pink Noise 3000 hz HP also sounds well-centered. Moving my head didn't lead to as much phaseyness as the 1500 hz HP sample. Also, the image seemed to stay more centred upon moving my head sideways.

* Correlated Pink Noise 6000 hz HP sounded nicely centred, but moving just a little to the sides made it sound really funny and a bit phasey again. Probably I was hearing the many closely spaced interference peaks and dips.

It seems that with my setup and my ears the image falls apart faster than with most others'. I know Earl Geddes and some others believe speakers with high directivity that are crossed in front of the listener the image should be very consistent across the width of the couch, but in my situation this clearly isn't the case. However, when sitting in the centre between the speakers the image is very precise.

But isn't this just as one would expect? High directivity leads to a strong direct sound and strong direct sound means good imaging. Strong early reflections lead to a more smeared image, that's wider and less precise. This means that reflections contribute to imaging and that with wide dispersion speakers they thus do so to a greater extent than with high directivity speakers. Moreover, the sum of all reflections is more diffuse in character than the direct sound. When you move off the centre axis between the speakers you are changing your position with respect to both speakers. With speakers that have a strong direct sound this should lead to a greater change in imaging than with speakers that rely of a multitude of reflections for imaging.

keyser,
I'm a bit surprised at how similar my experience (#949) was to your description. My speakers are wider dispersion than yours but our rooms are almost identical.

I found that slight toe out works best for my setup. Have you tried it? What about minimizing contralateral reflections by pointing the speakers to cross behind the sweet spot?

I speculate that strong contralateral reflections although beneficial for enforcing the center phantom image have detrimental effect on the edges of the image. With contralateral reflections, when material is panned to the side the listener would get cues of similar intensity from conflicting directions. It was mentioned in an earlier post that the brain tends to ignore conflicting cues and to enforce compounding ones. That seems to explain the effect that markus and I observed of narrow image with speakers toed in and wider image when they are toed out.

I think this is one of those issues where people have different tastes and priorities. I clearly remember the spatial impression I heard when I went to a performance of an orchestra in a large auditorium for the first time, a few months ago. The "image" you hear isn't sharp at all, but you can clearly hear the effects of the hall. Sharpness of imaging then, is not very important for realistic reproduction at home; spaciousness, on the other hand, is important for reproduction in this case.

Last week on Monday I listened to keyser's highly directional speakers. When I heard a band playing outdoors the next day, I concluded that the sharp imaging I heard on the speakers can be considered desirable for faithful reproduction (although I do miss a little spaciousness and "fullness" of timbre with his design).

In a nutshell, I think the order of these priorities may well depend on musical tastes and your live references.

I am afraid that is true. For a performance of an orchestra you would like to have the 'you are there' experience. Maybe some interaural crosstalk cancellation does the trick for stereo, I would be interested to hear such a recording. But multichannel audio should be much more suitable to provide that experience.

I think the most believable normal stereo recordings are the ones that provide you with a 'view through a large window to the acoustic space of the recording'. There recordings contain sufficient cues to give an impression of the acoustic space. They also place the orchestra, trio or band at a larger distance than the usual 3 meters.

On the curve you show the relevant part is the curved rising edge on the left side. This is the locus of points where the time shift and level offset can balance each other out.

It looks like 10dB offsets .75 msec. on this curve. The other author has 8dB offsetting 1 msec. Quite different?

David S.

I think different authors come up with different numbers because they may use different test signals.

I strongly believe this is also frequency dependent, and not constant ! Then to optimise a toe-in system, the directivity should be frequency dependent to follow the optimum. It would mean constant directivity is not optimum directivity pattern for stereo speakers.

- Elias

I thought it goes without saying that "You are there" and "They are here" requires a different recording technique ? Obviously the same recording is not optimal for both. I'm not sure why you're even labouring this very obvious point. :D

Just a philosophy: How to record a singer in an anechoic chamber to achieve "you are there" ??

It must be possible, since by now we know that stereo is capable of anything ;)

- Elias

thank You :)

I have to say that many of the well implemented omnis I've heard had astonishingly good imaging. They were never anywhere near the walls, tho.

but were they far enough from the walls to secure the allegedly necessary 10 ms of delay for ipsilateral reflections? 10 ms is over 3 metres of sound path difference
for example - was this requirement met at at the Dayton speaker contest with those Walsh/Ohm modified speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.