"New Vifa" tweeters - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2011, 05:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "New Vifa" tweeters

I see very little usage of the "New Vifa" tweeters on any diy forums. In particular, ones like this:

Vifa NE19VTA, 3/4" Aluminum Dome Tweeter, 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

It seems to have very low sensitivity for a 4 ohm version, but the response is quite flat, even far off axis. It also seems to be able to cross over very low.

Has anyone used these? Or any of this basic design (including the soft dome version)?

Pros, cons and impressions would be appreciated.

Links to builds would also be great!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st August 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I use it for a desktop monitor and it is cool. The bigger models have high sensitivity so can be used on my open baffles. This drivers are pretty new so there is some time span until amateurs and professional catch up. I think you will see them more often soon.
Old 22nd August 2011, 01:16 AM   #3
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Piccolata Mini Monitor
Old 22nd August 2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been looking at the soft dome version of this at PE, I think I will try them next.
Old 22nd August 2011, 01:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've been thinking about using these in both home and car. For the car they look almost ideal with very good off axis response. It also looks like I can easily cross them as low as 2000 hz. For home it may be used in a center channel. Silver Flute 6.5 inch for both. My only caveat is the sensitivity mismatch. They are not far off 89 vs 91 db. I know it's common practice to used an L-pad on a tweeter, but how about the woofer if need be?
Old 22nd August 2011, 04:55 PM   #6
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

The Vifa NE19VTA fit perfectly in my application because of the extended response and small size. I have no problems to report with this tweeter even though I use it for over a decade (LR4@1.4kHz).

Build Thread: Ardor - point source monitor

This is an extremely linear driver, I get a +-1dB curve with just minor adjustments. Zaph measured the entire product line on his blog and found higher than usual 2nd harmonic distortion. I personally find nothing wrong with the sound of this tweeter. I can try running some tests with it if you have something in mind.

Hide this!Advertise here!