Suggestions for fixing midrange/woofer clash

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jerome, thanks for your help! It does sound much better :) The mid does not sound odd, it sounds fine now (without the delay network). Matching theory and design is much harder with loudspeakers and lack of knowledge. Do you recommend any S/W for crossover design?

Eons ago, I had a summer job with a big telecom company in their acoustic lab. There was $10,000's in Brüel & Kjæ equipment, an anechoic chamber, and MLSSA on a PC. With all that space and equipment, it was still hard to make good acoustic measurements. I used it on the woofer/cabinet/port work. Then went back to school and could not use for the mid/tweeter.

I will revamp the crossover and if I am still not happy, try a cone midrange or mid-bass add on.

The JBL 2235H is an dynamite driver. I fell in love with it in the 1980's (when things were big) and reminds me of old Altecs in sound.

Before you do anything, have a look t this link:

Passive Crossover Network Design

There is all kinds of fancy software, but understanding what is under the hood first is a good idea.

I loved my 2235Hs. They are an exceptional driver.

I ended up replacing them with Acoustic Elegance TD15H drivers, which are almost a drop-in replacement as far as the specs go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.