BACCH filter vs. R.A.C.E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would tell Sony the all secrets of binaural for $3M too:
"Sony has given Choueiri $3 million to fund his lab for the next three years"
Princeton Alumni Weekly: BREAKING GROUND: Unlocking the key to 3D sound

You are losing me a bit on what you have tried. What is running on JRiver? Convolver? ConvolverVST? Robin's VST? other?

It is worth trying small (computer) speakers close up to see what the imaging is like, before trying to scale up.

Which Prof. Choueiri demo did I link to?

I tried convolver with the 2006 Choueiri files, and later on your files.

The best results I got were with the AmbioDSPvst.
(this one:)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It does image quite nicely after some work and putting the speakers closer together.
However if I put my speakers in a stereo setup the imaging can be quite good as well. Due to the size of my speakers they are not in ideal spots during normal playing. I placed them at various angles and positions just to see what it did.

The demo I played with were the files linked on:
Adventures in 3D Sound! - Studio 360
There are a couple of extra files there as well.

I also played those files in my Car, where I have a time aligned setup that images very well. In normal use you cannot tell where the speakers are mounted and there is a nice stage. With the demo file from studio360.org it was quite amazing to listen to. The space seemed larger (it's a small cabin, a Porsche 911) than it really is and the sound really envelopes you.

Maxim Integrated application note 4632: Phase delay enhances 3D Audio
Here is a page with some relevant information, though this XTC more concerned for mobile devices.

There is a fairly simple equation described. I wonder if the equation can be applied to determine speaker placement / distance? I'm a bit skeptical of this process in general. I'll wait for someone to chime in.

I made a pdf copy of this page an attached it for future reference should the webpage address change.

Attachments

• Maxim_Shuffler.pdf
    215.5 KB · Views: 67
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.