Optimizing active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No 15" will match the directivity of the TPL-150 or TP-150H (doesn't matter) at 1 kHz and up.

The woofer may have a great response on-axis, but physics will intervene at some point due to the size of the radiating surface.

Discontinuity of the power distribution will result above 1 kHz. What that means is the SPL on axis response will be fine, but the power distributed off-axis will peter out until the TPL-150 takes over above the crossover point.

If you look at the polar plot you will see a narrow waistline at the crossover point if it is too high because there is nothing the woofer contributes to the off-axis response.

Yes I am agree with that ... for home HiFi.
Beyma is a constructor of pro drivers... Directivity is not the first concern. Imagine the distance is long and even if the angle of radiation is narrow, it is enough to cover the surface you want.
I don't try to say i am right or not, i am agree with what you write, it is an other point view.
Directivity could be a good thing in some case when you want to concentrate the wave on one place (the dance floor for example ;) )

Beyma is a constructor of pro drivers... Directivity is not the first concern. Imagine the distance is long and even if the angle of radiation is narrow, it is enough to cover the surface you want.
I don't try to say i am right or not, i am agree with what you write, it is an other point view.
Directivity could be a good thing in some case when you want to concentrate the wave on one place (the dance floor for example ;) )

I think the Beyma TPL-150H determines what type of directivity you want. That is, since the TPL-150H has a very wide directivity you are pretty much stuck with the task of mating another driver with the same directivity characteristics (at the crossover point) for continuity's sake.

I believe TPL150H is constructed by Beyma for mating with 12" around 1200 Hz dispersion-wise, ref. their own design at www.beyma.com.

It can be, but drivers are pretty versatile devices and there is nothing preventing you from choosing a 3-way system and crossing that Beyma at 3.5 kHz if that is your desire.

The example you cited is just that, an example of one of many possible configurations the designer has at his fingertips.

Beyma is a constructor of pro drivers... Directivity is not the first concern.

In my experience in pro circles directivity is taken a LOT more seriously than in home hifi and for a lot longer, basically since the advent of large P.A. systems in the early '70s.
Feedback can be a bastard to fix so you need to take extra care of the all the speakers and microphones directivities.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.