Vandersteen 2ce crossover repair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
chriso1 is offline chriso1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Vandersteen 2ce crossover repair

I'm trying to repair the crossovers in a pair of Vandersteen 2ce's. I'm trouble identifying the value of the resistor in the attached crossover photo. Does anyone have a working crossover for these speakers that they could look at and let me know what the resistor value is? Any help would be appreciated.

Of course I'll be replacing the capacitor. 2ceCrossover4.jpg
Old 16th August 2011, 08:22 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Have you tried contacting Vandersteen to see whether or not they will provide you with the information you need? They used to be helpful in the past, can't say whether this is still true or not..

I'd be a bit concerned about the driver connected to those components as well..
Old 23rd August 2011, 05:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I talked to Mr Vandersteen, he didn't sound too happy that I had removed the crossovers. I asked about just sending the crossover in for repair and he said they would need the entire speaker and that I needed to put the crossover back like it was before they would work on it.

From that I didn't get the impression they were interested in helping me out with a DIY repair.
Old 23rd August 2011, 05:10 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

likely 10 ohms (but could be 1 or 100), a common value for a zobel on an 8 ohm speaker... have you traced out the circuit?

dave
Old 23rd August 2011, 05:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

haven't traced out the circuit yet, that is my next step, thanks for the info
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:04 PM   #6
DrDyna is online now DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Someone on the Audiokarma forum posted a nice picture of the crossover, but they are doing some kind of maintenance at the moment, so I can't look at it

AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I thought it was interesting that Mr. Vandersteen was angry about you looking at the crossover, so I've made this panel in his honor. That will have to tide you over until audiokarma comes back up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vandersteen panel.jpg (229.1 KB, 282 views)
Old 17th October 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi, I have just seen your thread and had the same problem to some extent, although there with more resistors involved. I emailed Ray Vandersteen and told him my problem and because the cost of returning the speakers to the USA would be prohibitive I asked if I could be provided with some kind of resistor repair pack? His response was most helpful, he informed me that all their speakers are fine tuned by ear before completion and suggested that I start with10R and work from there. I found that 10R was OK. It would be good to know how you got on with yours.
Old 17th October 2012, 02:13 PM   #8
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

3 way polycone speaker with an extra bass driver added. Ferrofluid 4.5" cone midrange. First order filters with impedance correction. Quite unusual.
2Ce Literature

Either you read between the lines of what Ray Vandersteen is saying and fit 10 ohms and hope, or trace the schematic where form follows function. Hard to say if this is 1 or 10 or 100 ohms since the multiplier on black-brown-?-brown is discoloured.

Certainly a 10 ohm-0.68uF would make sense as a tweeter Zobel shunt. Replacement with 7W wirewound would make sense too, unless this 1W resistor is designed to act as a fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor_Colour_Code.JPG (66.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 17th October 2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1 View Post
I talked to Mr Vandersteen, he didn't sound too happy that I had removed the crossovers. I asked about just sending the crossover in for repair and he said they would need the entire speaker and that I needed to put the crossover back like it was before they would work on it.

From that I didn't get the impression they were interested in helping me out with a DIY repair.
A stated previously Each Vandy speaker is a unique product, voiced pretty well individually.
Parts values are unique to that speaker..for best result. Not a use this part and it will be OK approach.
Which a lesser /less concerned maker would have said and gotten you off their back.
They just want the thing back so that they can ..restore it.. to their standards.
Your choice :-)
Old 17th October 2012, 05:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi chriso1, Have you traced out the circuit yet I would love to have a copy!

Hide this!Advertise here!