diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Vandersteen 2ce crossover repair (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/194745-vandersteen-2ce-crossover-repair.html)

chriso1 16th August 2011 08:16 PM

Vandersteen 2ce crossover repair

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to repair the crossovers in a pair of Vandersteen 2ce's. I'm trouble identifying the value of the resistor in the attached crossover photo. Does anyone have a working crossover for these speakers that they could look at and let me know what the resistor value is? Any help would be appreciated.

Of course I'll be replacing the capacitor. Attachment 235725

kevinkr 16th August 2011 08:22 PM

Have you tried contacting Vandersteen to see whether or not they will provide you with the information you need? They used to be helpful in the past, can't say whether this is still true or not..

I'd be a bit concerned about the driver connected to those components as well..:eek:

chriso1 23rd August 2011 05:04 PM

I talked to Mr Vandersteen, he didn't sound too happy that I had removed the crossovers. I asked about just sending the crossover in for repair and he said they would need the entire speaker and that I needed to put the crossover back like it was before they would work on it.

From that I didn't get the impression they were interested in helping me out with a DIY repair.

planet10 23rd August 2011 05:10 PM

likely 10 ohms (but could be 1 or 100), a common value for a zobel on an 8 ohm speaker... have you traced out the circuit?

dave

chriso1 23rd August 2011 05:28 PM

haven't traced out the circuit yet, that is my next step, thanks for the info

DrDyna 23rd August 2011 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Someone on the Audiokarma forum posted a nice picture of the crossover, but they are doing some kind of maintenance at the moment, so I can't look at it :(

AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I thought it was interesting that Mr. Vandersteen was angry about you looking at the crossover, so I've made this panel in his honor. That will have to tide you over until audiokarma comes back up.

cln.white 17th October 2012 01:15 PM

Hi, I have just seen your thread and had the same problem to some extent, although there with more resistors involved. I emailed Ray Vandersteen and told him my problem and because the cost of returning the speakers to the USA would be prohibitive I asked if I could be provided with some kind of resistor repair pack? His response was most helpful, he informed me that all their speakers are fine tuned by ear before completion and suggested that I start with10R and work from there. I found that 10R was OK. It would be good to know how you got on with yours.

system7 17th October 2012 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3 way polycone speaker with an extra bass driver added. Ferrofluid 4.5" cone midrange. First order filters with impedance correction. Quite unusual. :)
2Ce Literature

Either you read between the lines of what Ray Vandersteen is saying and fit 10 ohms and hope, or trace the schematic where form follows function. Hard to say if this is 1 or 10 or 100 ohms since the multiplier on black-brown-?-brown is discoloured.

Certainly a 10 ohm-0.68uF would make sense as a tweeter Zobel shunt. Replacement with 7W wirewound would make sense too, unless this 1W resistor is designed to act as a fuse.

Bare 17th October 2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriso1 (Post 2682881)
I talked to Mr Vandersteen, he didn't sound too happy that I had removed the crossovers. I asked about just sending the crossover in for repair and he said they would need the entire speaker and that I needed to put the crossover back like it was before they would work on it.

From that I didn't get the impression they were interested in helping me out with a DIY repair.

A stated previously Each Vandy speaker is a unique product, voiced pretty well individually.
Parts values are unique to that speaker..for best result. Not a use this part and it will be OK approach.
Which a lesser /less concerned maker would have said and gotten you off their back.
They just want the thing back so that they can ..restore it.. to their standards.
Your choice :-)

cln.white 17th October 2012 05:20 PM

Hi chriso1, Have you traced out the circuit yet I would love to have a copy!