Max weight on a passive 12" Peerless XLS?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2003, 11:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Max weight on a passive 12" Peerless XLS??

does anybody know what the max weight I can put on a 12" passive Peerless XLS. (it's standard weight is 425grams).?
Old 29th August 2003, 02:47 PM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Jonnravn:

Nobody has answered your question in a couple of days. I do not know the answer myself. However, I have a suggestion.

Perhaps a better way to pose the question might be to state how big a box volume you want and what frequency you want to tune it to. Some people just keep adding weight until the proper tuning of the box is reached as measured by the impedance dip at resonance. They might not even know the exact weight, but they might have built the box you are looking to build.

Try giving us your desired box volume and frequency of tuning. See if anyone responds.

LOL, you live in Denmark and you can't get an answer to that question just by asking around? Hmmm...
Old 29th August 2003, 04:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have no Problem doing the Math on the units and the Box myself. I just don't know what the limit of weight is pr. passive radiator. Som of the calculations i have done makes the weight of the Passive radiators go over 2 lbs a piece, and I'm not sure they can take that much weight!
Old 29th August 2003, 05:26 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Since I couldn't find it on the DST website, you will have to ask the factory.

GM
Old 29th August 2003, 05:44 PM   #5
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Jonnravn:

You made clear in your first post that you have no problem calculating the weight of the passive radiator.

What I was saying was this. There are two ways to build a passive radiator box.

One way is to decide what your box volume and tuning frequency is, then calculate how much weight to add to the passive radiator. This seems to be the approach you are taking.

The other way is to build your box to the desired volume, then keep adding wieght to the passive radiator until the desired tuning frequency is reached as measured by the impedance dip at the frequency of resonance. The people who use this method often do not even know how much weight they have added. They only know that they have added enough weight to bring the box to the desired frequency of resonance.

My suggestion was for you to determine what your desired box volume and tuning frequency is, then post the results. The XLS is a very popular speaker, and there might well be someone who built one with the box volume and tuning resonance you desire, who had perfectly satisfactory results, but who really does not know how much weight he actually added.

I was not saying that you did not know how to calculate the weight. I was only saying that someone else who built a good-performing box might have added the weight you need for your box, but never bothered figuring out how much weight he added.

Just for the heck of it, what is the box volume and desired tuning for your XLS box? Perhaps someone here has built such a box without even knowing how much weight he added, but got the resonance frequency in the box volume he desired.
Old 29th August 2003, 05:56 PM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Here is a fellow who used two 12" versions of the Peerless Passive Radiator massed to 790 grams each-that is 28 oz, or nearly two pounds.

It seemed to work well for him.

Perhaps two pounds is not out of the question for Peerless Passive Radiators.
http://www.geocities.com/adrian_mack/
Old 29th August 2003, 06:09 PM   #7
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Here is something via Google. Apparently the answer is 625 grams, (22 ounces), can be added.

These two links to a single thread on diysubwoofers seems to provide the answer. Adrian Mack, the fellow with the above webpage, is one of the posters.

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/talksho...ages/15818.htm

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/talksho...ages/15878.htm
Old 30th August 2003, 12:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanx for all you help!
I have tried contacting both DST and Peerless and some of their Danish distributors. and nobody seems to want to help me! (So it is great to find forums like this where people, like yourself, help each other).

The box is going to be a 35 Liter box (that is when everything is installed, before installation it will be, around 42 Liters). that means a box with outside mesurements of 40*40*40cm (think it's around 16*16*16 inches).
Old 30th August 2003, 02:16 PM   #9
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonnravn
Thanx for all you help!
I have tried contacting both DST and Peerless and some of their Danish distributors. and nobody seems to want to help me! (So it is great to find forums like this where people, like yourself, help each other).
I was afraid of that.

Before Peerless was taken over by Danish Sound Technologies, they had their own Email address for support. I sent a question to that Email address and received an answer within two days.

After Peerless was taken over by Danish Sound Technologies, they changed the policy to where the Emails for all support have to go to the distributor for your area. I Emailed the distributor with my question. Know what my question was? Which Peeerless models have the aluminum shorting ring in their magnet systems. Not a tough one, don't you agree? I Emailed them this rather straightforward question over a year ago, and have yet to receive an answer.

As a general rule, in any industry, when the company tells you to contact the distributor for an answer to your technical question, that is usually another way of saying "Go away". Distributors are people who are interested in getting sales forces together and shipping schedules, not answering individual tech questions. Their operations do not have engineering offices where the tough questions can be obtained by the tech help. I have had bad experiences in several industries with distributors.

If you want, I can call Madisound or Parts Express tech help with any other tech question you have, since this question appears to be answered. It's a free call over here. I have had good experiences with the tech help in both companies, and it is possible that, with the large volume of Peerless that they sell, a question from either of these two companies directed to Peerless will actually be answered by Peerless' engineering department. Volume = clout.
Old 30th August 2003, 06:33 PM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, they're a sorry bunch! OK then, according to this application note: http://www.wescomponents.com/peerless/XLS.htm they had no problem massing their 10" PR to 600g, and in general, the amount of weight the suspension can handle is proportional to its circumference, so.....

The effective circumference of the 12" PR is ~1.183x the 10", x600 = ~710g. This falls ~in line with Adire's 1Kg limit for their 15" so I would be comfortable with it. Beyond this point and you'll have to take a hard look at how much it's likely to be energized. If it's tuned so low that it only moves a few mm and there's some EQ to filter out the signal below Fb (just in case), then it should be able to handle ~1.5x 710 = ~1065g based on my own experiments with the Adire 15" and ServoDrive 18" PRs.

As always though, YMMV, so caveat emptor.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!