Re-Speakering a 3-Way!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ladies and gents, I've got a couple of questions hopefully someone will be able to help me out with. As I was driving around today, I happened to find a pair of Sony SS-U541AV 3-way speakers on the side of the road. The speakers were all either dented or torn, and some weren't even connected once I took them out. But, I have been looking to find a decent set of speakers, so I figured I might as well just take this cabinet and fill it up and maybe save some cash!

SO

Essentially I just don't really know where one might go to look for parts, and which of these parts would be good choices! I guess I need a tweeter, midrange, woofer, and a 3-way crossover (2-way? I'm not sure which way they're named). The hole for the tweeter is 2 3/4", midrange is 3 3/4", and woofer is 9 1/8", so I figure I'm looking at a tweeter of whatever size (it doesn't seem like the size of the tweeter corresponds much to the size of the hole drilled for it), a 3"ish midrange, and an 8"ish woofer.

Has anyone attempted a similar type of repair and met with success? And what kind of cash should I expect to have to drop on this? I don't imagine the cabinets are that great, so it probably doesn't make sense for me to spend a lot, as I'd be able to get a nicer set of speakers if I just bought them pre-made or used the extra cash to make a better cab.

But any kind of direction on this would be much appreciated! I don't have any experience building loudspeakers, but I have a decent amount with building electronics so I don't expect any trouble on that end!

Thanks so much!!

to do a design backwards like this, first you need to find a woofer that will do well in the internal volume of the box you want to use.

Wedge,
I don't want to a "Wet Blanket," but what Pete has stated is correct. You might want to consider a free design that's been already published. Speaker design is no longer one of the "Black Arts" that it once was, but it is quite complicated and the learning curve can really seem overwhelming when you're just starting out.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wedge, along with what the first two wise men have offered, I will suggest this:

Go to your local second hand/thrift store or even a garage sale and find a pair of speakers. The cost of filling a box will be much, much more. On top of that, the original drivers for that speaker are no longer available.
That speaker you have sells for $20 for the pair on Craigslist.

Ah, that makes lots of sense. Well thanks a bunch - I'll go check out some thrift stores for some used speakers and see if I can get these puppies making some noise! Plus it looks like I'm going to be having more free time than I have in a while so perhaps I'll get into the loudspeaker building hobby as well!

Thanks guys!

Ah, that makes lots of sense. Well thanks a bunch - I'll go check out some thrift stores for some used speakers and see if I can get these puppies making some noise! Plus it looks like I'm going to be having more free time than I have in a while so perhaps I'll get into the loudspeaker building hobby as well!

Thanks guys!

Like I said before, there's a lot to know about speaker design and always something new to learn, but it can be a "very" interesting hobby as well.

Take your time and have fun, sometimes the journey is as interesting as the destination.
:D

Best Regards,
Terry

Hi,

The only cost effective repair of speakers in when you know exactly
what you are doing and what to, and whether its actually worth it.

Otherwise the by far best option as said by others in this thread is to buy
what you want used, perhaps a little old, but good quality, at relatively
bargain prices. Used speakers are by far the cheapest source of drivers.
Well quality ones at least ...

rgds, sreten.

Hmmm, it appears that Terry is on the outgoing end of "Cal's list" and not the receiving end. Perhaps Terry needs to rework this situation, or maybe SWMBO prefers it this way?!

One suggestion I have for the speaker cabs, depending upon size, if you know anyone who has chickens, ducks, etc. they may be able to use them as nesting boxes! Don't laugh I have a friend doing just this with some Advent cabs that were beyond repair.

Peace,

Dave

Hmmm, it appears that Terry is on the outgoing end of "Cal's list" and not the receiving end. Perhaps Terry needs to rework this situation, or maybe SWMBO prefers it this way?!

One suggestion I have for the speaker cabs, depending upon size, if you know anyone who has chickens, ducks, etc. they may be able to use them as nesting boxes! Don't laugh I have a friend doing just this with some Advent cabs that were beyond repair.

Peace,

Dave

Dave,
My Ever Lovin' could only hope that it was outgoing. AFAIK, I've never sold anything Audio related in my life. I've given away things that I thought people might like, but I don't like the hassle of selling.

The idea of using old cabinets for nesting coops is a great idea...at least in the USA.

In certain parts of Canada, people are known to detest, or even to go so far as attacking Chicken Coops with crowbars, etc. I'm not sure why that is, but I've witnessed it with my own eyes. In fact, I actually hid (in mortal fear!) behind Cal as one of those crazed Canucks went absolutely nuts when in the presence of a Coop.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Dave,
My Ever Lovin' could only hope that it was outgoing. AFAIK, I've never sold anything Audio related in my life. I've given away things that I thought people might like, but I don't like the hassle of selling.

The idea of using old cabinets for nesting coops is a great idea...at least in the USA.

In certain parts of Canada, people are known to detest, or even to go so far as attacking Chicken Coops with crowbars, etc. I'm not sure why that is, but I've witnessed it with my own eyes. In fact, I actually hid (in mortal fear!) behind Cal as one of those crazed Canucks went absolutely nuts when in the presence of a Coop.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Wow I have never heard of someone reacting so violently to a chicken coop. Perhaps it also housed a rooster?! I have had the urge to terminate one of the roosters my friend had years ago. Guess there must be something in Canada that I don't know about? Perhaps in the water.

Peace,

Dave

P.S. my sympathies to the Ever Loving, and my best regards for her tolerance!:p

No ordinary chicken coop. Dave refuses to tell us what else went on in there before chrisb had his his way with it.

Attachments

• IMG_5568.jpg
    IMG_5568.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 35
P.S. my sympathies to the Ever Loving, and my best regards for her tolerance!:p

dave,

My wife's friends seem to have some quaint notion that she'll get a free pass into Heaven, just for having put up with me.

Little do they realize that being married to me is just like already being in Heaven. It's funny, while many of her friends seem very intelligent, it's truly a mystery how they could overlook something so obvious.
:xeye:

Best Regards,
TerryO

dave,

My wife's friends seem to have some quaint notion that she'll get a free pass into Heaven, just for having put up with me.

Little do they realize that being married to me is just like already being in Heaven. It's funny, while many of her friends seem very intelligent, it's truly a mystery how they could overlook something so obvious.
:xeye:

Best Regards,
TerryO

Your humility is duly noted.;):D

Peace,

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.