Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Trying to mellow out Klipsch KG 4.5 tractrix horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2011, 01:46 AM   #1
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Trying to mellow out Klipsch KG 4.5 tractrix horn

I bought a pair of Klipsch KG4.5 speakers in good shape. I kind of like them (my first horn speakers), but they have a harshness in the treble that I'm trying to tame.

So far I've applied a layer of duct seal (a la Planet10) to both the tweeter horn and the woofer frame, which has helped gain clarity and smoothness. But the tweeter still has a little sizzle to the top end that bothers me.

A lot of people have said to replace the crossover capacitors, but they look like reasonable quality metallized Mylar film. How bad can those possibly be?

Here's the crossover schematic:

Click the image to open in full size.

I was experimenting with putting a resistor across the + and - terminals of the tweeter. When I put a 50 ohm 10W wirewound there, the highs definitely get smoother and less brash, but maybe too 'dead.' When I put 100 ohm 10W it smooths the highs just a little tiny bit.

Here's what I've done to it:

Click the image to open in full size.

Right now I'm listening with the 100 ohm there, and I think I want to try something like 82 ohms (split the difference between 50 and 100 ohms).

My question is -- Am I doing something incredibly stupid and wrong? I mean in general terms. I don't have the actual driver specs, so I understand that the crossover can't be properly analyzed from just the schematic. But in general terms, is putting a resistor across the tweeter likely to cause a problem?

Am I just attenuating the tweeter output by setting up a simple voltage divider between the series resettable fuse (that "polyswitch" thingie, which has 0.5 ohm internal resistance) and the parallel resistor?

Thanks...
Old 14th August 2011, 02:08 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you tried the Klipsch forums? <meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

GM
Old 14th August 2011, 02:26 AM   #3
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Have you tried the Klipsch forums?
Yes, but no answer from there yet. But this isn't really Klipsch-specific... Seems like a general crossover question.

BTW, I found this in the Multi-Way stickies...
Flattening the Tweeter's Impedance

That shows something like what I was thinking. But it also suggests that putting the resistor there changes the impedance of the tweeter, so changes the way the tweeter crossover components act on the tweeter (changes the -3dB point?).

-=|=-
Old 14th August 2011, 03:23 AM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

It will likely make small reductions in output where there are currently impedance peaks, and also increase damping somewhat of the crossover. There will be some attenuation of the whole tweeter but it will most likely be insignificant. So...greatest effect nearer the crossover. No, no damage likely.

I also wonder whether someone else has had this exact problem and found a good fix?
Old 9th August 2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Mazza is offline Mazza  Australia
diyAudio Member

Stumbled upon this, could help but add my two cents. Apologies for the ancient thread bump.

Exact same experience with my Klipsch KG 5.5's. Stupidly wonderful outcome for a few dollars and some time.

Inspired by AllanB....
Old 9th August 2018, 02:36 PM   #6
moray james is offline moray james  Canada
diyAudio Member

you can hear just what the poly switch is contributing simply by solder tagging a wire across it and so bypass it.You can at any time snip the wire off and have it back in circuit. You will be surprised.
Old 10th August 2018, 05:11 AM   #7
Mazza is offline Mazza  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that tip MJ. I'll be sure to try that out.
Old 10th August 2018, 02:23 PM   #8
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

An interesting thread. It's a weakness of what is effectively a single cap filter that it doesn't damp the tweeter voicecoil and that pesky ca. 1kHz resonance known as the Fs at low frequencies.

Various tweaks can help. Ferrofluid, Zobels around 7.5R plus 0.68uF for 6 ohm drivers. A shunt resistor around 15R across the tweeter. An attenuator does much the same as a simple resistor, of course. But reduces level.

TBH, that isn't the greatest filter in terms of adequacy.

When you then remove these tweaks, initially it all sounds brighter. But then you pickup a hard sound again. All is compromise!
Old 10th August 2018, 02:28 PM   #9
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Really enjoyed your 5.5 upgrade story. The crossover re-do bit was refreshingly honest. You have optimized a cheaply made box in all the right ways AFAIK.
Old 10th August 2018, 02:42 PM   #10
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It WAS a good story!

Trial and error and use of listening. Listening is what it's all about.

If you want the nearest I can get to a scientific basis, here's the effect of a 15R shunt on what the 6 ohm tweeter sees in terms of damping of the voicecoil back down the filter. The shunt will reduce impedance a little, but not affect the slopes much. Dotted is without the shunt.
Attached Images
File Type: png Effect of 15R shunt on Klipsch.PNG (14.3 KB, 194 views)

Trying to mellow out Klipsch KG 4.5 tractrix hornHide this!Advertise here!