3 way using woofer plus ciare coaxial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking of making speakers using DEQX and this 8 inch ciare coaxial

Ciare NDCX8-1.4 - Ciare NDCX8-1.4 is a lightweight neodymium 8 inch coaxial speaker for all 2 or 3-way speaker systems- Ciare Speakers - Ciare NDCX8-1.4 8" coaxial lighweight neodymium speaker for high quality speaker systems. Ciare NDCX8-1.4 coaxial

or even the 10 inch one if you can convince me that there is adequate dispersion with a 10 inch driver at the crossover frequency of around 1.2kHz.

Any recommendations for a 12 to 15 inch woofer to go with this, one that can cross well at 300Hz, and still go down low enough in a box that doesn't have to be the size of a fridge (down to 30's to 40 would be adequate). Differences in sensitivities won't be a huge issue as it will all be active with DEQX anyway.

I just wanted something ballsier than using the low sensitivity seas coaxials.

I have the 10" home version (HX255) crossed at 2 kHz and there are no beaming issues at the crossover frequency whatsoever. You needn't be afraid of the 12" version in a two way BR at all, since it can even be crossed a bit lower. Recommended crossover frequencies for pro use don't mean much for home use. I cross with some overlap to get rid of the dip.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The highs will be contained somewhat by the constraining effect of the cone acting as a waveguide. The woofers will be beaming slightly up higher but that's exactly where you want them to be crossed.

At 300Hz they should have wider dispersion and ought to match with a 12 or 15. Your choices are probably wide and varied.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Home (HiFi) gear is normally designed for different usage with differing priorities to pro gear. It isn't necessarily better sounding than pro stuff of comparable quality. Pro drivers can be used in excellent sounding configurations when they are not being used under the pressures of sound reinforcement duty.

Thanks guys. I didn't even know there were home versions of the Ciare coaxials. Do they offer any better sonics than the pro version?
I don't think the home drivers sound better than the pro drivers. They have lower sensitivity that allowed me to get away the peak passively in a strange manner.
Coassiale CIARE HW255 State Of The ART - Pagina 5
The response in the lower region is much better now with a strange method.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/189704-remove-standing-waves-without-damping.html
For a boxed version I find the new 12" pro driver ideal, but after passive BSC the sensitivity wouldn't have been higher. Just a sub would have been more or less dispensible. On top it sounds a bit horny, what can be covered very well by a soft-sounding amp like a Tripath (would be my recommendation for you for the tweeter). The Tripath is sufficient for me inspite of the 90 dB sensitivity because the room and the listenig distance is quite small. Freedom of compression and harmonic distortion is clearly better in comparison to hifi gear, even noticable at my low levels and probably much more audible at higher levels.

Well I do have an older Bel Canto evo2i tripath amp sitting here doing nothing, I could put that on the tweeters. I have been using ICE power on my Dynaudio Contour 5.4's that I have tri-amped with DEQX, so I could still use those for the mid bass drivers on the coaxials and on what ever bass driver I choose.

obi, the B&C 8CX21 and 8CXT are well regarded and used in some Seaton and Danley product.

Pro Sound Service in the US are the distributor, have good prices and excellent to deal with. Good shiiping prices to down here too.

If my other designs had worked aout a bit differently, I was going to get some of the 8CX21 to go with 2225 for surrounds. All active of course.

Yeah, its a private thing held on the Bathurst Race weekend, or at least that's when its normally been on. I've been to 2 or 3 of them. I'll have to log on to the website again on my work computer because on this one I don't have the password saved, I haven't looked at it in 6 months or so. It is a great weekend, some go to the races during the day, but everyones there at night time playing music on various home made speakers and amps etc. And noone is too precious, its all no nonsense hifi, music and drinking, no wank factor. I'm not sure how many terry might be having around or if i can get you an invite, I'll have to log on and see if its even still happening because I haven't had any emails in a long time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.