3 way using woofer plus ciare coaxial - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2011, 05:04 AM   #1
obiwan is offline obiwan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 3 way using woofer plus ciare coaxial

Thinking of making speakers using DEQX and this 8 inch ciare coaxial

Ciare NDCX8-1.4 - Ciare NDCX8-1.4 is a lightweight neodymium 8 inch coaxial speaker for all 2 or 3-way speaker systems- Ciare Speakers - Ciare NDCX8-1.4 8" coaxial lighweight neodymium speaker for high quality speaker systems. Ciare NDCX8-1.4 coaxial

or even the 10 inch one if you can convince me that there is adequate dispersion with a 10 inch driver at the crossover frequency of around 1.2kHz.

Any recommendations for a 12 to 15 inch woofer to go with this, one that can cross well at 300Hz, and still go down low enough in a box that doesn't have to be the size of a fridge (down to 30's to 40 would be adequate). Differences in sensitivities won't be a huge issue as it will all be active with DEQX anyway.

I just wanted something ballsier than using the low sensitivity seas coaxials.
Old 13th August 2011, 08:23 AM   #2
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have the 10" home version (HX255) crossed at 2 kHz and there are no beaming issues at the crossover frequency whatsoever. You needn't be afraid of the 12" version in a two way BR at all, since it can even be crossed a bit lower. Recommended crossover frequencies for pro use don't mean much for home use. I cross with some overlap to get rid of the dip.

Last edited by el`Ol; 13th August 2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 13th August 2011, 08:28 AM   #3
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

The highs will be contained somewhat by the constraining effect of the cone acting as a waveguide. The woofers will be beaming slightly up higher but that's exactly where you want them to be crossed.

At 300Hz they should have wider dispersion and ought to match with a 12 or 15. Your choices are probably wide and varied.
Old 14th August 2011, 02:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. I didn't even know there were home versions of the Ciare coaxials. Do they offer any better sonics than the pro version?
Old 14th August 2011, 03:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Home (HiFi) gear is normally designed for different usage with differing priorities to pro gear. It isn't necessarily better sounding than pro stuff of comparable quality. Pro drivers can be used in excellent sounding configurations when they are not being used under the pressures of sound reinforcement duty.
Old 14th August 2011, 06:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
Thanks guys. I didn't even know there were home versions of the Ciare coaxials. Do they offer any better sonics than the pro version?
I don't think the home drivers sound better than the pro drivers. They have lower sensitivity that allowed me to get away the peak passively in a strange manner.
Coassiale CIARE HW255 State Of The ART - Pagina 5
The response in the lower region is much better now with a strange method.
remove standing waves without damping
For a boxed version I find the new 12" pro driver ideal, but after passive BSC the sensitivity wouldn't have been higher. Just a sub would have been more or less dispensible. On top it sounds a bit horny, what can be covered very well by a soft-sounding amp like a Tripath (would be my recommendation for you for the tweeter). The Tripath is sufficient for me inspite of the 90 dB sensitivity because the room and the listenig distance is quite small. Freedom of compression and harmonic distortion is clearly better in comparison to hifi gear, even noticable at my low levels and probably much more audible at higher levels.
Old 14th August 2011, 06:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well I do have an older Bel Canto evo2i tripath amp sitting here doing nothing, I could put that on the tweeters. I have been using ICE power on my Dynaudio Contour 5.4's that I have tri-amped with DEQX, so I could still use those for the mid bass drivers on the coaxials and on what ever bass driver I choose.
Old 14th August 2011, 07:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

And with DEQX, I assume the aim would be to measure the speakers 15 to 20 degrees off axis and make that flat?
Old 14th August 2011, 07:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

That would make a good starting point.
Old 14th August 2011, 07:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

For the HX255 it's almost irrelevant where you make it flat (post 97) http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...ack=&sort=&z=5 . If you are a fan of sealed enclosures and don't mind lower sensitivity in the bass you could build a sealed enclosure for the HX255 instead of a ported one for the NDCX 12-1.4.

Last edited by el`Ol; 14th August 2011 at 07:56 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!