Scan-Speak Discovery woofers ragged FR below 100Hz? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2011, 04:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Finally a manufacturer publish real and unsmoothed frequency response graphs, and then that's a bad thing?

I give supreme respect to Scan-Speak have the guts to do what no other speaker manufacturer dares.
SEAS have been doing this for years, as have vifa/speak/peerless. And if they have ever used smoothing it has only been a very small amount.
Old 16th August 2011, 08:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I agree that the Revelator woofers I heard made some of the best bass I've ever heard, although I had not examined an FR curve for them until now.

Here's shown the FR for a Scan-Speak Discovery 30W/4558T00 subwoofer, which looks very desirable in the bass (first pic):

The second pic is of a Seas Excel W22EX001 E0022, which appears smoothed.

And the third pic is of a Peerless XXLS 835017, which looks nice without any apparent smoothing.
Attached Images
File Type: png Scan-Speak 30W:4558T00 FR curve.png (66.7 KB, 268 views)
File Type: png Seas Excel W22EX001 E0022 FR curve.png (74.8 KB, 265 views)
File Type: png Peerless XXLS 12in 835017 FR curve.png (125.5 KB, 263 views)
Old 16th August 2011, 08:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

So the Scan-Speak Discovery woofer is ugly, but the SS Discovery subwoofer is nice? Same company, same series (Discovery aluminum cone), same test? Something's not right....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScanSpeak 26W:4534G00 FR.jpg (265.2 KB, 261 views)
File Type: png Scan-Speak 30W:4558T00 FR curve.png (66.7 KB, 227 views)
Old 16th August 2011, 08:16 PM   #14
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
So the Scan-Speak Discovery woofer is ugly, but the SS Discovery subwoofer is nice? Same company, same series (Discovery aluminum cone), same test? Something's not right....
Don't forget the DB scale, you've got one that jumps in 10db increments and the other is 5, it's going to look jumpier naturally.
Old 16th August 2011, 08:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
Don't forget the DB scale, you've got one that jumps in 10db increments and the other is 5, it's going to look jumpier naturally.
You seriously don't see past that?
Old 16th August 2011, 08:46 PM   #16
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You seriously don't see past that?
I think I do? I'm not sure precisely what you mean by that, but I was merely aiming to point out that even though one of those charts looks markedly worse than the other, it's only worse by 1 or 2 db.
Old 16th August 2011, 09:13 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

One has almost 5dB of change within 10Hz in two places below 100Hz (and 4dB in three other places); the other one has barely 1dB wiggles anywhere below 100Hz....

It is those sharp 4-5dB up-down changes that makes me question whether a woofer can physically respond like that.

Last edited by Andersonix; 16th August 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 16th August 2011, 09:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One has almost 5dB of change within 10Hz in two places below 100Hz (and 4dB in three other places); the other one has barely 1dB wiggles anywhere below 100Hz....

It is those sharp 4-5dB up-down changes that makes me question whether a woofer can physically respond like that.
I think the answer to your question must come from Scanspeak. Have you written to them and asked exactly how they test woofers and what level of smoothing they used in the published tests?
Old 16th August 2011, 10:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I really wouldn't worry about it. The SEAS graphs are obviously composites and any near-field measurement technique will give ruler flat/smooth responses in the bass.

Whenever you start introducing the room into the equation, peaks and dips like that can and will show up. Take a look at the 8 ohm version of that driver, the 8534. Even though the drivers are identical, except for the voice coil, the top end response of each is different. However the bass response is identical, one would assume that they had been measured at the same time too.

Now take a look at the revelator/classic/illuminator drivers under the 'woofer' section, they all show peak dip combos at roughly the same frequencies in the bass. It is obviously a measurement artefact.

Drivers typically display ruler flat frequency responses when they are operating within the cones pistonic range (at low frequencies). The only thing that would cause bumps/kinks would be a resonance of some sort and if severe enough they would also show up in the impedance plot.

Hide this!Advertise here!