Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 07:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default Rear port close to wall dilema

I have these fine speakers that are not working in my room because of the small distance from the back wall (distance to side walls is huge).
I am getting excessive boominess and congestion.

My quest is to solve this poblem without increasing the distance from speakers to wall. Do you have any suggestions?
If necessary I can change the port, use accoustic materials on the wall behind the speakers but I cannot increase the distance from wall.

Data:
- Distance from wall is 13" and I've discovered that at 40" the problem is solved (but I must keep them at 13").
- Rear port is vertically at the center of the speaker, from my calculations Fb=46Hz.
- The design of these speakers has to be outstanding because they have fabulous integration and magic midband while using modest drivers! From the looks I would guess they are:
-- Tweeter: Scan-Speak Revelator D2905/990000 (off-center)
-- Woofers: 2x Vifa C17WH0908 (possibly significantly modified by the manufacturer) in MTM configuration.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 10:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
LineSource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SiliconValley
Can you put the port on the bottom of the cabinet?

B&W wrote a white paper discussing the advantages of putting the port on bottom of the cabinet, and shaping a base plate to block the port exit air from the rear of the cabinet. The attached picture shows the triangular space of the B&W bottom area that pushes the port air mainly to the front, with some side output, but a blocked rear output. The solid base plate assures constant output on hard floors or on carpet.

B&W claims a bottom port:
1) minimizes the amount of midrange energy that escapes from the port into the room. This helps the soundstage clarity.
2) gives a uniform and maximum floor gain
3) allows a long port tube based upon the cabinet height and not depth
4) avoids an "ugly" port hole on the front of a cabinet
5) allows a large radius diameter on the port edges
6) on some speakers, B&W puts the xover components in this base wedge

I have seen several new speakers that use the B&W bottom port ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floorspeakers_05.jpg (52.5 KB, 191 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:41 PM   #3
bbggg is offline bbggg  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
At port resonance, wavelengths are too long to vary with port position on a box, unless your speaker is 40-13=27 inches deep. My hunch is that your problem has to do with room modes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 12:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
vacuphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Right behind you.
Quote Aleph5: Distance from wall is 13" and I've discovered that at 40" the problem is solved (but I must keep them at 13").

Why not have the vent on the front?
__________________
Everything eats everything else, given appetite and opportunity.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 12:19 AM   #5
DaveG is offline DaveG  United States
diyAudio Member
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grease
what happens if you put a couple of sofa cushions behind the speakers?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator
 
Cal Weldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: British Columbia
Or a loosely/slightly snug sock in the ports if the cushions aren't enough?
__________________
Next stop: Margaritaville
Some of Cal's stuff | Cal Weldon Consulting
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 02:12 AM   #7
bbggg is offline bbggg  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Or a rolled towel for that matter, although the alignment (Q and rolloff) will change drastically.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 02:56 AM   #8
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: white plains, ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbggg View Post
At port resonance, wavelengths are too long to vary with port position on a box, unless your speaker is 40-13=27 inches deep. My hunch is that your problem has to do with room modes.
I suspect bbggg is right, your problem is probably caused by the wave going to the wall, then being reflected and traveling back in time to combine (or cancel) with the wave coming out of the speaker. The location of the port doesn't matter because bass frequencies spread out uniformly in all directions.

It's not an easy problem to solve but well placed EQ might be the most practical solution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 03:40 AM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator
 
Cal Weldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbggg View Post
Or a rolled towel for that matter, although the alignment (Q and rolloff) will change drastically.
Loosely rolled sock so as to be considered aperiodic. Nothing drastic like blocking the port.
__________________
Next stop: Margaritaville
Some of Cal's stuff | Cal Weldon Consulting
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 08:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Default Wall Deflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph 5 View Post
I have these fine speakers that are not working in my room because of the small distance from the back wall (distance to side walls is huge).
I am getting excessive boominess and congestion.

My quest is to solve this poblem without increasing the distance from speakers to wall. Do you have any suggestions?
If necessary I can change the port, use accoustic materials on the wall behind the speakers but I cannot increase the distance from wall.

Data:
- Distance from wall is 13" and I've discovered that at 40" the problem is solved (but I must keep them at 13").
- Rear port is vertically at the center of the speaker, from my calculations Fb=46Hz.
- The design of these speakers has to be outstanding because they have fabulous integration and magic midband while using modest drivers! From the looks I would guess they are:
-- Tweeter: Scan-Speak Revelator D2905/990000 (off-center)
-- Woofers: 2x Vifa C17WH0908 (possibly significantly modified by the manufacturer) in MTM configuration.

Try this. What comes out of the port are 'bullets of air'; so, just deflect them!

See attached sketch.

Regards,

WHG
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DefBR.pdf (14.9 KB, 80 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open baffle VERY close to back wall? Fast1one Multi-Way 6 4th April 2009 07:01 PM
Measuring a loudspeaker close to a wall wigginjs Multi-Way 2 3rd April 2009 02:02 AM
Rear port and front port barry.childs Multi-Way 10 27th February 2009 09:46 AM
Port close to the wall--effect on tuning? diesel_88 Multi-Way 3 26th April 2008 10:57 PM
rear port vs front port Jimmy154 Multi-Way 22 6th March 2004 08:38 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:06 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2