Alu Die Cast Cabinet: Monitor-Audio BM-100, Pioneer TS-X9 Bowers & Wilkins " ???"

Alu Die Cast Cabinet: Monitor-Audio BM-100, Pioneer TS-X9 Bowers & Wilkins " ???"

I remember the good sonic quality of the speaker models mentioned here from early exhibitions and consumer shows.
I am looking to the B&W loudspeaker model, that is similar to the mentioned types especially to the outline of the "TSX9" from Pioneer. It was on the market between 1980 and 1990.
Who knows the model number?
And a second question: Where on the web is to find a test review and a frequency response of the BM100 from Monitor Audio.
Thank you very much. Here some images of the other above mentioned models.

Attachments

• Monitor Audio BM-100.pdf
    62.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Pioneer TS-X9 front exhibition 1977 Japan.jpg
    Pioneer TS-X9 front exhibition 1977 Japan.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 646
  • Pioneer TS-X9 frequency response.jpg
    Pioneer TS-X9 frequency response.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 651
  • Pioneer TS-X9 open.jpg
    Pioneer TS-X9 open.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 585
  • Pioneer TS-X9 rear-II.jpg
    Pioneer TS-X9 rear-II.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 542
  • Pioneer TS-X9 side.jpg
    Pioneer TS-X9 side.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 547
  • Pioneer TS-X9 terminal.jpg
    Pioneer TS-X9 terminal.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Pioneer TS-X9 front-II.jpg
    Pioneer TS-X9 front-II.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Are the pics I posted of the one you were seeking?

If so, would you like me to scan the rest of the brochure? It has frequency response graphs and the specifications.

I have some even rarer B&W speakers. In the 80/90s B&W made car audio components called the MASS range. I have the sub woofers and midranges and crossovers from this range. I used the midranges and crossovers to make these, which I am happy to say sound better than the LM1s I have:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There's some old manuals and stuff here: B&W Group North America Service & Support Homepage

B&W LM1 LM-1 old

LM-1 old:
Thanks again for this additional informations. Unfortunately I haven't the complete broshure from B&W LM-1 old , but the schematic and some more pics.
The "MK-III" (MK-3 MK3) pics I have found from japanese websites (using by image view search inside Google.co.jp).
here thw URL:
http://www.happy-town.jp/DUCK-TAIL/shop/goods_detail.cgi?CategoryID=000003&GoodsID=00000581
This means, there are three versions on the marked from this cabinet outline of the LM-1.
Who can post here the inside views of the used transducers?
BTW - an offer currently available you will find about
http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/audio-.../kompaktlautsprecher/bundw-lm1/v/an650674836/

Attachments

• B&W LM1 old drawing view.pdf
    129.1 KB · Views: 76
  • B&W LM1 old front-I.jpg
    B&W LM1 old front-I.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 102
  • B&W LM1 old front-II.jpg
    B&W LM1 old front-II.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 140
  • B&W LM1 old MK3 front.jpg
    B&W LM1 old MK3 front.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 99
  • B&W LM1 old MK3 rear.jpg
    B&W LM1 old MK3 rear.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 83
  • B&W LM1 old MK3 terminal.jpg
    B&W LM1 old MK3 terminal.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 75
  • B&W LM1 old service bulletin.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 85
  • B&W LM1 old schema APRIL 82.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 74
  • B&W LM1 old PCB view crossover network.pdf
    156.2 KB · Views: 77
  • B&W LM1 old various colors.jpg
    B&W LM1 old various colors.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
B&W LM1 LM-1 new

B&W LM1 LM-1 new for compare:

Attachments

• B&W LM1 new 14793+14794.pdf
    68.9 KB · Views: 115
  • B&W LM1 new base drawing and datasheet.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 81
  • B&W LM1 new brochure.pdf
    186.3 KB · Views: 60
  • B&W LM1 new open II.jpg
    B&W LM1 new open II.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 115
  • B&W LM1 new open I.jpg
    B&W LM1 new open I.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 93
  • B&W LM1 new front wo cover.jpg
    B&W LM1 new front wo cover.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 98
  • B&W LM1 new side view.jpg
    B&W LM1 new side view.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 96
  • B&W LM1 new side-rear view.jpg
    B&W LM1 new side-rear view.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 88
  • B&W LM1 new.jpg
    B&W LM1 new.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 50
Monitor Audio "Baby Monitor" "BM-100" (BM100)

In the attachement high resolution images, better than that one from post #1.
Please let me know the manufacturer of the drivers (bass/midrange and tweeter - it must be a manufactuter similar to Tangband).
Please let me additional know companies or special guys, which can carried out a restauration (resurrection) of burned voice coils and damaged domes/cones and diaphragms so as surrounds of the used transducers.

Attachments

• Monitor Audio BM-100 rear.jpg
    Monitor Audio BM-100 rear.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Monitor Audio BM-100 front-III.jpg
    Monitor Audio BM-100 front-III.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 131
  • Monitor Audio BM-100 front-II.jpg
    Monitor Audio BM-100 front-II.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 175
It is not worth fixing the damaged drivers. Get modern car audio drivers - they will be much better than the old ones and should cost less than repairs.

Es lohnt sich nicht zur Festlegung der beschädigten Treiber. Holen Sie sich moderne Car-Audio-Treiber - sie werden viel besser als die alten und sollte weniger als Reparaturen kosten.

B&W LM1 brochure: Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe
The drivers are integrated with the front panel - they can not be seperated from it. The panel 'is' the chasis.
Thank you for this advice. Similar than by various JBL loudspeakers.
It is not worth fixing the damaged drivers. Get modern car audio drivers - they will be much better than the old ones and should cost less than repairs.
This is not true in all cases. For this reason here in German we have special companies, which perform repair service for certainly vintage speakers. One example is follow company for vintage loudspeakers from the German brands "BRAUN" and "ACRON":
http://www.hebermehl.de/Service/service.htm
This company is even able for the restauration of burned voice coils so as damaged domes/cones and diaphragms of the used transducers and not only foam surround replaces.
Perhaps in UK there is a similar company for vintage B&W speakers. Who knows more?

P.S. we get a funny German translate by the use of the google language tools.
When I translate back to english I read:
The Car-Drivers are married with the Front Panel - they can not be separated from them

Last edited:
Hello, I joined the DIY forum as a result of this topic. I'm interested in finding a set of TS-X9's and doing what cheapskate suggested - retrofitting them with modern drivers. I've found it difficult so far to find a set of TS-X9's so here's my general question - is there much of a resale market for vintage car audio from the 80's?

Still have my TSX9's from 1970's. Photos attached

I was searching to see how rare the TSX9's were and found this forum today and this post. There is no model number, as such, but I took 3 photos (reduced to 640x427) jpgs to show all the important information. The serial numbers were just stamped into the tape on the bottom and can be see in outline on the closeup.

I was going to use them with my Infinity home theater as side speakers in a 7-1 setup, but I just noticed today they are 4 ohm. I can't use them with 8 ohm speakers without risking my Denon 890 amp-not going to happen!

If someone is interested in these classics with their advanced design of solid billet aluminum case and the early (first?) dome tweeters, post a reply or if the form allows (I will) send me an email.

They were designed to sit on top of the rear shelf of a car under the rear glass. They really put out the sound with great bass for their size and clean highs. This was before subwoofers, but they still can pump out some fairly low frequencies. You could pair them with a seperate sub if you wanted, or they work great in a sports car with little room (I had them in my '72 911).

Attachments

• DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 192
Please let me know the manufacturer of the drivers (bass/midrange and tweeter - it must be a manufactuter similar to Tangband).
Please let me additional know companies or special guys, which can carried out a restauration (resurrection) of burned voice coils and damaged domes/cones and diaphragms so as surrounds of the used transducers.
I still want to know this.

My only aluminum enclosure loudspeaker effort, the UberTone

Although this is not a DIY effort, I thought that the DIY community might find it of interest.

I am a partner in a small company that designs, manufactures and sells custom and semi-custom (short production run) monitors for the recording and broadcast industry. The studio biz is dead in many ways these days, so the company, Precision Kinetics, is pretty much in stasis.

A few years ago I designed a small single full range driver loudspeaker to replace monitor loudspeakers called Auratone that were no longer available. Almost everyone used (and still uses, there are a LOT of them out there) Auratone 5C cubes as a "real world" reference check when tracking and especially mixing.

We wanted something more imaginative than just a clone, so I came up with this art deco-ish aluminum enclosure. You will recognize the Tang Band W4-1052SA employed. It was very new at the time.

We had them built in Shanghai by an acquaintance in the pro microphone business. Two runs of 30 pair each were built and sold surprisingly quickly.

Unfortunately, access to the foundry was lost and the project was shelved. I have considered having them built locally with a turned wood enclosure instead of the aluminum, but have not been able to get enthusiastic about it.

Passive filters are incorporated for baffle compensation and some driver irregularities. The large hole in the bottom is threaded to accept a standard mic stand, always available in a studio environment.

The Original Auratones. They used the same CTS driver that was found in the original Bose 901's from 67' to 76'
Auratone-03-60.jpg

...and the UberTone. The forum software doesn't like my cropped photos, so click on images for correct aspect ratio.
UbertoneFront.jpg

UbertoneRear.jpg

UbertoneBottom.jpg

UbertoneResponse60to10K.jpg

BiCoastal Music in Ossining, New York, with the owner, Hal Winer standing in front of the console. I was involved in the architectural and acoustical design of the facility. The large format monitors are also Precision Kinetics products. You will probably recognize the drivers used. :D The nearfields next to the Ubertones are by Dynaudio. Rob Thomas, Bjork, Yellowjackets, Bob Mintzer and many others I can't recall have been recorded and produced there.
HalwithUberTones.jpg

any news in this case?

From a serbian guy, who lives in the environment of my place of residence I have heard yesterday, that in the aera of Leskovac (Лесковац) lives a special guy, who can restaurate damaged voice coils similar to this:
rewinding speakers repair Reparati difuzoare - YouTube
Voice Coils - YouTube
(videos unfortunately without details of the winding process itself).
He has his own winding machine and rewinds voice coils of Tannoy speakers like this:
Tannoy Monitor Gold Speakers
and some other vintage speaker stuff.
This guy isn't online (no own homepage, no ebay auctions)

Maybe Prodanovic Aleksandar (diyaudio member ZEN-MOD) know this expert for this complicated work.
Thank you very much for advices.
And an other question:
Germans manufacturer CANTON produces at the same time from the baby monitors similar loudspeakers in aluminium enclosures. Who know the model number from the 80th ?? It was the home audio model of the car audio speaker "HC-100" go to attached images

Attachments

• canton-hc100.jpg
    canton-hc100.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 51
  • canton hc_100_1246086.jpg
    canton hc_100_1246086.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Canton HC-100.jpg
    Canton HC-100.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I need for replacement dome tweeter and bass-midrange driver with exact the same sizes (go to second image). Who can tell me, which currently available driver I must order ?

Attachments

• Monitor Audio BM-100 Mini HiFi Speakers - November 2018 (2).jpg
    Monitor Audio BM-100 Mini HiFi Speakers - November 2018 (2).jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Monitor Audio BM-100 Mini HiFi Speakers - November 2018 (3).jpg
    Monitor Audio BM-100 Mini HiFi Speakers - November 2018 (3).jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Monitor Audio BM-100 Mini HiFi Speakers - November 2018 (5).jpg
    Monitor Audio BM-100 Mini HiFi Speakers - November 2018 (5).jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Monitor Audio BM-100 Mini HiFi Speakers - November 2018 (7).jpg
    Monitor Audio BM-100 Mini HiFi Speakers - November 2018 (7).jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF5985.jpg
    DSCF5985.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF5984.jpg
    DSCF5984.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • DSCF5983.jpg
    DSCF5983.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Monitor Audio "Baby Monitor" "BM-100" (BM100)

I happened to see these speakers today: VISONIK (by HECO Berlin model DAVID 30+502
https://www.fein-hifi.de/Lautsprecher/Visonik-DAVID-2-Wege-Lautsprecherpaar::3378.html
https://audio-heritage.jp/VISONIK/speaker/david30.html
https://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/visonik_david_e.html
https://www.springair.de/de/visonik-david-30/h50945
https://tonbandforum.de/showthread.php?tid=19686
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/visonik-david-30.998613/
whether one of these models is identical to the BM100 from Monitor Audio

Attachments

• VISONIC DAVID-XI.jpg
    VISONIC DAVID-XI.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 45
  • VISONIC DAVID-I.jpg
    VISONIC DAVID-I.jpg