Need ideas for finish on speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2011, 01:33 AM   #1
Frosteh is offline Frosteh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need ideas for finish on speakers

I'm really at a loss as to how I want to finish these. I still have some cleanup to do on them before I finish, but I'll be ordering supplies soon. What should I do? I was thinking bamboo veneer and then piano black baffle. Piano black all around looks great too. I'd like to stick with a contemporary design. So post ye suggestions or pics of neat designs! Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Tytte71 is offline Tytte71  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Have you looked at troelsgravesen? I have found lot of inspiration in the "recent updates" and "builder's response" section.

Last edited by Tytte71; 6th August 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

A high glose olive colour would look realy retro and fit the decor, maybe with a brown speckle in...

If I may add a hint for future reference, when you are finished glueing and clamping, use a moist rag to clean up glue spills, it is so much easier than dealing with it after it dried.
Old 6th August 2011, 11:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm a fan of dark veneers - american black walnut (mirror match the fronts at least) and Wenge are my favorites -personally think walnut burrs tend to look horrible on speakers boxes
Old 6th August 2011, 04:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Laminates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post
I'm really at a loss as to how I want to finish these. I still have some cleanup to do on them before I finish, but I'll be ordering supplies soon. What should I do? I was thinking bamboo veneer and then piano black baffle. Piano black all around looks great too. I'd like to stick with a contemporary design. So post ye suggestions or pics of neat designs! Thanks!

Explore their use here:
Wilsonart Contract Portfolio
Regards
WHG
Old 6th August 2011, 07:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

After probing the troelsgravesen site, I have found two designs I really like. Only trouble is I have no idea where to find a painted white oak veneer as is used in the first picture. The grey simply looks clean and modern, which I really like as well. Which to choose? I'm not sure how hard it would be to get an even matte finish of grey. I've tried black before, and it is a royal pita.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th August 2011, 08:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You can get grey adhesive vinyl from a hardware store. How about edging the front with iron on veneer, same as what you would use for kitchen doors. Then use a matching veneer for the sides.
To get a whitewash oak finish you can simply sand with v fine sandpaper, add a small amount of white pigment to an acrylic varnish and apply a couple of even coats (do a test patch first),
Old 12th August 2011, 02:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
You can get grey adhesive vinyl from a hardware store. How about edging the front with iron on veneer, same as what you would use for kitchen doors. Then use a matching veneer for the sides.
To get a whitewash oak finish you can simply sand with v fine sandpaper, add a small amount of white pigment to an acrylic varnish and apply a couple of even coats (do a test patch first),
So I'm definitely going with a matte vinyl. However, what color would you go with, matte white or matte black? Just looking for knee jerk opinions, nothing special here. Keep in mind that they're going in a college dorm room so it's not like everything is going to be matching anyway.
Old 12th August 2011, 02:55 AM   #9
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

well, if you're going vinyl might as well show mine..

Obviously the back view. I out a thin rubber layer underneath, so it then has a give to it rather than a hard feel.

You'd have to figure out how to do the front and back baffles, tho with straight 'glue on' not as much of a problem.

You'd have to have a look at the store bought stuff, you may find that any cut has a 'white back' to it...which might be handled by black texta or somesuch.
Old 12th August 2011, 03:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry j View Post
well, if you're going vinyl might as well show mine..

Obviously the back view. I out a thin rubber layer underneath, so it then has a give to it rather than a hard feel.

You'd have to figure out how to do the front and back baffles, tho with straight 'glue on' not as much of a problem.

You'd have to have a look at the store bought stuff, you may find that any cut has a 'white back' to it...which might be handled by black texta or somesuch.
I'm planning on using automotive vinyl that is used to wrap cars. Is this the right stuff?

Hide this!Advertise here!