Binding posts - Insulated or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Insulated plugs are a good idea if they're going to be used in an environment where there are lots of other wires or dangers from shorts, however if you're planning on screwing them into the back of a wooden speaker or into a plastic cup on a speaker and you take care that all the strands on your wires are tinned / in a connector it probably doesn't make much difference.

Agreed, Apex Jr has some good deals on these parts.

Why not use SpeakOn?

No danger of shorts, and contact resistance is tiny.

I'd love to use those, but unfortunately they really haven't been adopted widely in home audio.

I suppose we could start a trend for home audio speakers that used them and then just terminate our speaker leads with them.

Edit: Afterthought: How difficult is it to reverse the polarity on these connectors? I do sometimes mess with stuff that required polarity tinkering...OP might as well.

Last edited:
Why not use SpeakOn?

No danger of shorts, and contact resistance is tiny.

My thoughts exactly.

Since I discovered them (not being pro audio guy) I've never considered using anything else in my own projects.

I'd love to use those, but unfortunately they really haven't been adopted widely in home audio.

Not sure why that's relevant, given that

a) the speakers are being DIY'ed.

b) male connectors are both readily available and easy to use (set screws)

c) they're cheaper, and better (positive locking, gas-tight, more compact).

My thoughts exactly.

Since I discovered them (not being pro audio guy) I've never considered using anything else in my own projects.

Not sure why that's relevant, given that

It's relevant due to the fact that you could potentially be dealing with speaker leads that have been terminated already with spade lugs or banana plugs. While I might be willing to re-terminate my leads (and then stop my leads from working with any other speaker) someone else might not be.

It's relevant due to the fact that you could potentially be dealing with speaker leads that have been terminated already with spade lugs or banana plugs. While I might be willing to re-terminate my leads (and then stop my leads from working with any other speaker) someone else might not be.

Seriously? Such a person shouldn't be engaging in DIY audio.

And how hard is it to go from a Speakon plug to a banana/spade? Unscrew one set screw, remove wire, insert wire, clamp down set screw. Whoo hoo.

(Yes, there are people who seem to think that things such as solder or whatever can affect the sound. Or that wires generally can. Decorum prevents me from expressing my opinion of such people's hearing acuity.)

Seriously? Such a person shouldn't be engaging in DIY audio.

And how hard is it to go from a Speakon plug to a banana/spade? Unscrew one set screw, remove wire, insert wire, clamp down set screw. Whoo hoo.

(Yes, there are people who seem to think that things such as solder or whatever can affect the sound. Or that wires generally can. Decorum prevents me from expressing my opinion of such people's hearing acuity.)

Yeah, I've got my wires terminated - soldered and heat shrunk with banana plugs, due to the fact that they fit into every home audio speaker that I've come across.

I'm not against trying better connectors, or for a better standard being adopted. I'm not attached to bananas and I think the Neutrik connectors might actually be better, however I probably won't re terminate any speaker leads until the consumer audio industry at large does the same thing.

Such is my thought exactly. It's possible I would want to sell these in the future and the odds that someone else will have speakon connectors is very slim. Those ones from apex jr look like the ones from ebay.

What about these from Madisound? Look to be almost exactly the same as the daytons from PE. Posts: BG-POSTB Binding Post Black: Madisound Speaker Store

Actually, speakons look pretty interesting. The two pole version should be the same as two binding posts, right? And the 4 pole would be 4? Having only one connector for the whole speaker would be pretty nice, and quite cost effective.

Last edited:
They call 'em 5-way binding posts for a reason. The odds are good that one has a bare wire, a loop of wire, a spade lug, a soldered pin or maybe even a mating banana plug. I like 5-ways for versatility, but IMO a banana isn't the ultimate connection. It has however, stood the test of time since General Radio Corp. invented the banana plug back in 1924. Sometimes I build with a big brass screw, a couple washers and a big brass wing nut!

Such is my thought exactly. It's possible I would want to sell these in the future and the odds that someone else will have speakon connectors is very slim.

You haven't been at this for long, then. The resale value of finished DIY projects rarely amounts to much. Basically just the resale value of the drive units. Sad, but true. People who DIY want to do their own projects, and people who don't DIY want brand names they've heard of.

And besides, in the event of a sale one could just throw in a set of Speakon ends, or for that matter the whole speaker wires.

Actually, speakons look pretty interesting. The two pole version should be the same as two binding posts, right? And the 4 pole would be 4? Having only one connector for the whole speaker would be pretty nice, and quite cost effective.

Yes all around.

You haven't been at this for long, then. The resale value of finished DIY projects rarely amounts to much. Basically just the resale value of the drive units. Sad, but true. People who DIY want to do their own projects, and people who don't DIY want brand names they've heard of.

And besides, in the event of a sale one could just throw in a set of Speakon ends, or for that matter the whole speaker wires.

Yes all around.

Yep, this is my first build. I didn't assume I'd keep the speakers but being a college student, I may decide I need the money back at some inevitably desperate time and I'll have to sell the speakers for face value. Looks like I'll be using speakon, though. Cheap and effective.

Yep, this is my first build. I didn't assume I'd keep the speakers but being a college student, I may decide I need the money back at some inevitably desperate time and I'll have to sell the speakers for face value. Looks like I'll be using speakon, though. Cheap and effective.

So , invest on some good wire ....!
Maybe you could re-use the left cufoff from your woofer ,and put it in the back of the cabinet ...to make a cable winder !!! :eek::rolleyes:
Someone else in the Mass Market had obviously already thinked about it !!!:D

Last edited:
In the first place it depends on whether you need to bi-wire/bi-amp. It is made with 4 (or 8 poles) to allow very easy bi- or quad amping in the pro segment.
For home use, you can just opt for using the 2 polse for normal connection.
You can actually get not so expensive 4 connector cables. Look in some pro shops on the net. The connectors are also sold in a 2 pole versin (NL2).
Pa Speaker Cables SPC-540/SW Stage Line PA Speaker Cables SPC-540/SW 4 Core Black 129720 - Stagebeat - 4 Core Black 129720 12.9720 speaker speakers cable cables lead leads wire wires 4 four core cores speakeron speaker-on speak-on neutrik newtrick me

In the first place it depends on whether you need to bi-wire/bi-amp. It is made with 4 (or 8 poles) to allow very easy bi- or quad amping in the pro segment.
For home use, you can just opt for using the 2 polse for normal connection.
You can actually get not so expensive 4 connector cables. Look in some pro shops on the net. The connectors are also sold in a 2 pole versin (NL2).
Pa Speaker Cables SPC-540/SW Stage Line PA Speaker Cables SPC-540/SW 4 Core Black 129720 - Stagebeat - 4 Core Black 129720 12.9720 speaker speakers cable cables lead leads wire wires 4 four core cores speakeron speaker-on speak-on neutrik newtrick me

The best I could find is this: SPEAKER WIRE 12 GAUGE 4 CONDUCTOR "PER FOOT" USA MADE | eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.