4" for Mini Monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anybody recommend any 4" mid bass drivers for a Mini Monitor designed for a small 8ft square room (Needs to be a sealed enclosure)
And more about tight, punchy bass and not depth.

Similar ilk to the ATC SCM7.

Quite liked the 4" Seas (11FG iirc) mid bass in the Keesonic Kolt, really tight and punchy, So the CA12RCY/MC12RC could be good.

The Wavecor WF120BD03_04 looks interesting as well, Still new so no real stuff on the internet, Zaph reviewed it favorably though.

The Fostex FW108N has always interested me, but seems very expensive for what you get, and not many documented projects with it.

The Fane Studio 5m/Celestion 0510 have always interested me as well, but i doubt i will get a nice smooth midrange from these pro-orientated mid-bass.

I seem to prefer doped/coated paper and poly cones (Seas 11FG, ATC SCM7, Volt BM220)

Decided to move away from full-range drivers :)

Cheers, Rob

Last edited:
Cheers Jerome, that looks the kind of thing, although ported :(

Seems the Keesonics could have been the 11F-GX (H0149/CA11RCY) so the CA12RCY could well a good starting point!

The CA12RCY and D2905/9300 (heard that Scanspeak tweeter before and really liked it!) could be a good?

Last edited:
I suppose i could, to be honest, i was getting along not too badly with the Omnes Audio BB3.AL in a Spherical sealed box, without BSC. Bass really is an issue in this tiny room. Even some Tannoy Mercury S, which i have found bass light in most situations, overpower the room and create a lot of resonances.

The room with the BB3.AL speakers mentioned above-
5901851258_1408a448dc_z.jpg

Some Rega R1's that did ok-
5729799840_242795cbc3_z.jpg

And the Keesonic Kubs mentioned-
5763824329_3acc47d9d1_z.jpg

The Keesonics were the best with bass control and tightness, as i said, they used the CA11RCY/11FGX in a sealed box (around 4 Litres i think) which seemed to work quite well. The CA11RCY seems to have very simmilar specs to the CA12RCY. Their main downfall was the lack of smoothness in the treble, something that the SS D2905/9300 would do a lot better than the Monacor (i think) based unit that they used.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.