Econowave 3-Way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In any case, due to horn gain, we have to EQ something out to extend the response. This most certainly causes audible phase artifacts in the pass band.
How? Where it can be considered minphase, the EQ is fixing the phase along with the response, and elsewhere, the EQ is still improving phase, not making it worse, no?

In my opinion, a 6" midrange is about as contraproductive as it could be for an Econowave. I tried a JBL LE8T2 for about a day with a variety of crossover points and amps - no luck, not even close. If there is a need for improvement in the midrange, this will only happen with a redesign of the entire system. A large horn covering from 150/200Hz...
Yes, those waveguides are too large / too narrow pattern for a 6", but a midbass horn is not the only other direction: you can use a waveguide with a wider pattern (to match the 6" at a lower frequency) and/or use a smaller waveguide and cross higher (with tighter spacing). For example, LSR6332, KH 120, 8040B, and many others.

How? Where it can be considered minphase, the EQ is fixing the phase along with the response, and elsewhere, the EQ is still improving phase, not making it worse, no?

Yes, those waveguides are too large / too narrow pattern for a 6", but a midbass horn is not the only other direction: you can use a waveguide with a wider pattern (to match the 6" at a lower frequency) and/or use a smaller waveguide and cross higher (with tighter spacing). For example, LSR6332, KH 120, 8040B, and many others.

No EQ will improve phase. Helping the horn create "equal pressure" out of its designed passband does not improve the sound either.

The thread is about improving the Econowave, not replacing it with a different speaker design. I know that there are a lot of 6" speaker lovers out there. I just don't happen to be one of them. Never heard any design with a 6" speaker that I would prefer over a stock Econowave. The horns work perfectly well from 1K and a good 12" midwoofer does just fine up to 1K too.

For the Econowave speaker, I consider the next logical step UHF. This removes the need for the big horn to operate out of its sweet spot pass band. The audible benefits are considerable.

To improve the single 12" driver in the context of the Econowave requires perhaps a second 12" driver, or better yet, a horn. Again, we are staying in the context of the Econowave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.