Build Thread: Ardor - point source monitor - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2011, 04:58 PM   #11
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a very good speaker.

You mentioned drums being a good test for crossover issues and I agree. One other test I like to do for any speaker I'm building is "Don Ross - This Dragon Won't Sleep". There are a few times during this song where Don "knocks" in rhythm on the body of his guitar. I've found some speakers reproduce it as a plain knocking sound, while better ones tend to let you feel that sound in your bones.

I agree though, drums...and any quick, dynamic program will often let you know pretty quickly if there's something wrong with a speaker, crossovers in particular.
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Nice design, boris81. I use same P/E eclosures im my 3way.
And I know that your speakers sound great, because I use crossover points very close to yours. These are my most lush sounding speakers.
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:51 PM   #13
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you, MisterTwister!

I'm currently auditioning different crossover configurations. The active DSP setup makes it very easy to do fast AB switching.

Interestingly, varying the crossover frequency between 1.4 and 4kHz has no significant effect. I'm becoming convinced that smooth transition of the horizontal directivity pattern is the second most important factor of a successful crossover. The number one factor being flat on-axis response. Differences in the vertical directivity and the crossover slope seem to be far less noticeable than I originally believed.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:39 PM   #14
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Very cool build, I recently built something similar. I used a PE 1ft^3 cabinet with a 8ohm 10F up top, R2004/6020, and two Anarchy woofers per cabinet. The off axis is very similar to yours(little smoother up top vertically) and I'm very happy with the sound. My only complaints, the cabinet is a little undersized for two Anarchy woofers and I had to put a bend in the port. If I were to do things over, I would bottom port them and add spikes to give the port room to breathe though. But with either configuration, there's no way I could fit the passive crossover in the cabinet.

OK, enough hijacking...great job on the speaker and beautiful job on the baffle!
Old 24th August 2011, 06:53 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thank you, Face!

Don't worry about threadjacking, I'm curious about how your build came out. I was planning on using the R2004/6020 but I am put off by the price. I see that they hit $150 now. The vifa NE19VTA shows higher distortion in measurements but I haven't found anything wrong with the sound. I did a bunch of listening tests and I can't find a reason to upgrade the tweeters. This is an extremely detailed speaker and it will be interesting to know how a more capable tweeter will sound.

I'm having lots of trouble with the bass in my room. Under 150Hz it's all dips and peaks. Currently I'm using heavy EQ and a sub to flatten the response but it's not consistent across the room. I'm considering redoing the low end in some kind of U-Frame cardioid configuration. I am giving thought to drilling holes on the side of the enclosure "a la keyser". Given the Anarchy's excursion numbers that might be an interesting option for you as well.
Old 27th August 2011, 07:19 AM   #16
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Very good study and project! Thanks for sharing. I, too, have a project (now dormant) that uses the little Vifa with a Dayton RS52 2" and A Dayton RS225 8". However, I have tried the 2" mid at 500Hz 4th order, and it struggles in that region, so I'll likely have to go for 700-800Hz.

What DSP crossover are you using?
Old 27th August 2011, 07:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default kx-project DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
What DSP crossover are you using?
Kx-Project is an open source driver for the Creative Audigy sound cards.
It allows full control of the onboard DSP processor. Users can reprogram various routing and processing configurations. It's very easy to use, the interface allows you to connect multiple processing blocks and connect them to the physical outputs on the board.

The only cost is the sound card which can be found on eBay for about $25. There's also a weird connector needed to make use of all the outputs but it's easy to find.

Some people have expressed reservations towards the sound quality but I have no issues with it. All processing is in 16bit/48kHz and most boards connect to the computer via the PCI bus. Because it's so easy to prototype with it, I plan on using it until I'm satisfied with the crossovers. Then if needed I can look for a more crude solution to copy the transfer functions to.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:24 PM   #18
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A really interesting read and it looks like a fantastic result! Thanks for sharing
Old 28th August 2011, 07:38 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thank you!
It's forums like this one and professionals sharing their work publicly that enabled me to put this together. I hope that sharing my experiences can be of use to others.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:25 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Nice build! Like the driver selections, cabinet choice, and attention to detail. If I were into box speakers I'd probably end up with something pretty similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
The physical offset between the two drivers and the wavelength of the crossover frequency affects the resulting radiation pattern and therefore can be manipulated by the designer. Interestingly, this issue is widely ignored and priority is usually given to other design parameters.
Yes, it's rather surprising. Maintaining good vertical directivity gets especially tricky when the crossover sums flat in quadrature rather than in phase the way Linkwitz-Riley alignments do.

Hide this!Advertise here!