Morel's Fat Lady speakers..what do you think of them - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2011, 12:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Morel's Fat Lady speakers..what do you think of them

Morel Loudspeakers - Home Audio - Fatlady Project

$32,000
Old 29th July 2011, 12:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good drivers (manufacturer). I just hate the name (not the price). Are you going to make them?! Is not the perfect sound, some say...
Old 29th July 2011, 12:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It looks expensive to make and the market for items like this is not very large, so I think the price is fair in that respect.

Now, what I generally miss in this market segment is a willingness to show objective information. If you invest this kind of money, it would be nice to have anachoic measurements, an impedance graph and some distortion figures. I hope they will be in Audiophile one of these days, and I am looking forward to how they do on the test bench.

Last edited by vacuphile; 29th July 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 29th July 2011, 02:19 AM   #4
emile2 is offline emile2  United States
diyAudio Member

The following was taken from their website and just absolutly scares me.

"Unlike conventional loudspeakers it has absolutely no internal damping: the inside of the cabinet is empty. The cabinet is allowed to vibrate in a controlled manner along with the drive units and uses this energy as part of the reproduced sound.

The clever part is that the cabinet 'sings' with the drive unit but stops immediately when the drive unit stops so there are no delayed resonances. The result is a speaker that sounds as if it has no cabinet at all."
Old 29th July 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emile2 View Post
The following was taken from their website and just absolutly scares me.

"Unlike conventional loudspeakers it has absolutely no internal damping: the inside of the cabinet is empty. The cabinet is allowed to vibrate in a controlled manner along with the drive units and uses this energy as part of the reproduced sound.

The clever part is that the cabinet 'sings' with the drive unit but stops immediately when the drive unit stops so there are no delayed resonances. The result is a speaker that sounds as if it has no cabinet at all."
Every one is making extensive heavy enclosures it feels good to the builder but is for a large part nonsense.
Heavy material stores more energy. And light is faster stopped because it stores less energy. And reinforcements are more effective to make it tight.

So the morel enclosure will vibrate a little with the sound and that will be masked by the radiated sound pressure. So you can not detect a thing.
Old 29th July 2011, 10:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Looks like a sex toy.

Pure marketing excercise.

Quote"The clever part is that the cabinet 'sings' with the drive unit but stops immediately when the drive unit stops so there are no delayed resonances. The result is a speaker that sounds as if it has no cabinet at all." As linkwitz said: are you making a musical instrument or a transducer?

My personal experiance of morel - mdt32 tweeters - had a lovely 4dB high Q peak at 10KHz - no mod could get rid of it.
Old 29th July 2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry8 View Post

My personal experiance of morel - mdt32 tweeters - had a lovely 4dB high Q peak at 10KHz - no mod could get rid of it.
That seems nonsense to me that can be flattened out with a LC or RLC or RC combination.
As for I can see there is no peak as you stated in the morel spec.
Old 29th July 2011, 11:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

This bit is hilarious.

"an outer layer of lacquered carbon fiber is optimally mixed with fiber glass and epoxy resin."

ie. its made of fiberglass and an outer skin of carbon fiber for looks. 32 grand..
Old 29th July 2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry8 View Post
Looks like a sex toy.
Or ET from behind, either way its damn ugly
Old 29th July 2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Every one is making extensive heavy enclosures it feels good to the builder but is for a large part nonsense.
Heavy material stores more energy. And light is faster stopped because it stores less energy. And reinforcements are more effective to make it tight.

So the morel enclosure will vibrate a little with the sound and that will be masked by the radiated sound pressure. So you can not detect a thing.
+1

Hide this!Advertise here!