Morel's Fat Lady speakers..what do you think of them - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2011, 03:44 PM   #21
emile2 is offline emile2  United States
diyAudio Member

I was not trying to imply in my earlier post that a heavier encloser was better than a light one or vice versa, just that the markiting guy that wrote that paragraph for Morel had all to do with selling a product and not much to do with accurat reproduction of music. We all know the best cabinet is the one that makes no noise (I don't want to hear the Fat Lady sing). And comparing a loudspeaker to a race car is absolute nonsence. Why would the weight of a race car have anything to do with reproducing music?

Can anyone catch Vettle? Alanso?
Old 30th July 2011, 06:03 PM   #22
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@Bill: Are they implying that? Could be, I suppose, but it also seems to be suggesting that the cabinet is ringing as the music plays. If it does it can't simply stop doing that instantly. Really it's a question of high Q versus low Q resonances and damping versus no/ minimal damping. Terms like 'energy storage' are often used as if energy is either stored or isn't- I'm not suggesting you are doing this- but it's really a question of how much energy for how long at at what range of frequencies. Obviously you don't want the cabinet droning away as low Q resonances are excited across a wide range of frequencies, but OTOH you don't want a bunch of high Q ringing either.
Old 30th July 2011, 06:15 PM   #23
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

The tweeters do seem pretty decent. Their woofers, OTOH, are a train wreck. Poor unit-unit consistency and poor overall performance even if by luck one gets a pair that are properly sorted.

Even my Morel SoundSub9, a small "designer" sub I bought to serve as a high-mounted sub in a Geddes-style multisub setup because I liked its physical appearance, shipped to me with a half-unglued surround...

Also, the Klippel measurements of their flagship 7 in Voice Coil were not pretty.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:27 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
@Bill: Are they implying that? Could be, I suppose, but it also seems to be suggesting that the cabinet is ringing as the music plays.
Yeah you are right. And I don't think they can make the first statement and then this, its a contradiction. Having said this, there is a favorable review online so who knows?
Old 31st July 2011, 12:12 AM   #25
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It might sound excellent Bill- and so it should at the price. Perhaps they just need to get a new copywriter and ditch the silly marketing jargon?
Old 31st July 2011, 07:44 AM   #26
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
even if it sounds good, who wants it in their home? That's enough money to keep both me and the wife happy.
Old 31st July 2011, 08:21 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

There are a few quality manufacturers who also aim for light, thin enclosures, with the idea that these don't store energy:
- The (often copied by DIYers) Rondo 23 which was well received in the press.
- I believe that Audio Note speakers use the same philosophy.
Old 1st August 2011, 03:05 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
I believe that Audio Note speakers use the same philosophy.
don't get me started on Audio $$$$ Notes
Old 1st August 2011, 03:58 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Thanks to Bill's post had a look at some of the Audio Note speakers. Frankly, I don't think this segment of the market does make much sense, unless you NEED speakers finished in high gloss Brittish racing green. Or want to brag to your girl friends that there is more silver in you speakers than in their jewel chests. Seriously, pound for pound, copper is a much better conducer than silver (about 10% better). And pure silver is mechanically much worse than pure copper. Why would anybody want to make voice coils out of silver? There is more baloney in high end audio than there is in the whole of Bologna.

Why don't they show measurements, except useless stuff like 25-20000 +/- 6dB. Same problem I have with the Fat Ladies (although I do understand the reluctance of some fat ladies to subject themselves to measurement, these Morels were created to look the way they do).
Old 20th August 2011, 02:39 PM   #30
KLBIrd is offline KLBIrd  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to KLBIrd
Well as it has been said; "It's not over until the FAT LADY sings" Evidently this Fat Lady is designed to sing all the time.

Hide this!Advertise here!