Morel's Fat Lady speakers..what do you think of them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks expensive to make and the market for items like this is not very large, so I think the price is fair in that respect.

Now, what I generally miss in this market segment is a willingness to show objective information. If you invest this kind of money, it would be nice to have anachoic measurements, an impedance graph and some distortion figures. I hope they will be in Audiophile one of these days, and I am looking forward to how they do on the test bench.

Last edited:
The following was taken from their website and just absolutly scares me.

"Unlike conventional loudspeakers it has absolutely no internal damping: the inside of the cabinet is empty. The cabinet is allowed to vibrate in a controlled manner along with the drive units and uses this energy as part of the reproduced sound.

The clever part is that the cabinet 'sings' with the drive unit but stops immediately when the drive unit stops so there are no delayed resonances. The result is a speaker that sounds as if it has no cabinet at all."

The following was taken from their website and just absolutly scares me.

"Unlike conventional loudspeakers it has absolutely no internal damping: the inside of the cabinet is empty. The cabinet is allowed to vibrate in a controlled manner along with the drive units and uses this energy as part of the reproduced sound.

The clever part is that the cabinet 'sings' with the drive unit but stops immediately when the drive unit stops so there are no delayed resonances. The result is a speaker that sounds as if it has no cabinet at all."
Every one is making extensive heavy enclosures it feels good to the builder but is for a large part nonsense.
Heavy material stores more energy. And light is faster stopped because it stores less energy. And reinforcements are more effective to make it tight.

So the morel enclosure will vibrate a little with the sound and that will be masked by the radiated sound pressure. So you can not detect a thing.

Looks like a sex toy.

Pure marketing excercise.

Quote"The clever part is that the cabinet 'sings' with the drive unit but stops immediately when the drive unit stops so there are no delayed resonances. The result is a speaker that sounds as if it has no cabinet at all." As linkwitz said: are you making a musical instrument or a transducer?

My personal experiance of morel - mdt32 tweeters - had a lovely 4dB high Q peak at 10KHz - no mod could get rid of it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Every one is making extensive heavy enclosures it feels good to the builder but is for a large part nonsense.
Heavy material stores more energy. And light is faster stopped because it stores less energy. And reinforcements are more effective to make it tight.

So the morel enclosure will vibrate a little with the sound and that will be masked by the radiated sound pressure. So you can not detect a thing.

+1

The reason I'm interested is because I am building a mould but I will probably go for carbon + carbon/kevlar without any fibreglass. The cabinet is tall but slim so it won't be crazy expensive to make. I read that there can be a resonance high up so wondered what material would be good to damp the insides.

I've used two pairs of MDT 30/32 tweeters in different projects. No sign of the problem mentioned in terms of measurement or sound. No other users of these drivers have ever mentioned this as an issue and no measurements I've ever seen show this. I would respectfully suggest that yours were either faulty or broken Henry. One of the best tweeters in it's day and still perfectly usable now, in my view. Direct comparison between the '30 and the SEAS H881 slightly favoured the Morel, to my ears. Probably not quite as good as the latest mid-priced SEAS, Vifa and Scan-Speak drivers, but still...
As to the Fat Ladies- amusing name, ugly speakers, daft marketing. So the cabinet vibrates along and then just stops dead when the music does. Physically impossible. Even if it could be done, why would this be a good idea?

Last edited:
So the cabinet vibrates along and then just stops dead when the music does. Physically impossible. Even if it could be done, why would this be a good idea?

What they are implying is that a thin wall plus very rigid composite cabinet does not store energy like a thick mdf cabinet would. I don't know how rigid fiber glass is (the carbon skin won't be doing anything if its just one lay thick).

I've used two pairs of MDT 30/32 tweeters in different projects. No sign of the problem mentioned in terms of measurement or sound. No other users of these drivers have ever mentioned this as an issue and no measurements I've ever seen show this. I would respectfully suggest that yours were either faulty or broken Henry. One of the best tweeters in it's day and still perfectly usable now, in my view.

Well, i can only report my experiences. Without wanting to go off topic, any problems you come across will depend on how many drivers you deal with. I can give examples of faulty / out of spec etc drivers for morel, seas, peerless, scanspeak....all considered to be "the best"

Never had issues with any MD30 tweeters and we used to buy then in case lots. same with Dynaudio's, Audax was a different story and HiVi would have to pay to take their stuff by comparision ...

MDT30's were about as solid as they came .......:drink:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.