Project: monitor-XL reference values - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2011, 08:10 AM   #41
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

One dutch guy asked me that I not could better have used a scan speak woofer. I did look but I could not find a scan speak with the same linearity efficiency as the no nonsense high-performance monacor.

Nice price scanspeak
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-8534g00.pdf

or the to expensive ,revelator serie.

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-4867t00.pdf

The scan speak have a nice frame a price three times the chassis I used. I think scanspeak understands the diy market. 1Looks are more important than 2specs and 3price performance. Because the average buyer does not understand TS-data and copies a design (as example Tony Gee designs) the only thing he understands are the looks of cast frame to a pressed steel frame. Tony get reduced price on his components like accuton and one hand washes the other so works the commercial world. Its irritates me thats why I mention it. Then better the partexpress diy designs looks less commercial.

The average DIY wants to buy the best for his project and got attracted by looks of the chassis and price to fit his budget.
There is no relation between a nice frame and the performance. If so show me results that aluminium-cast frames always performs better then a pressed-steel one.

There is one good advantage on the scanspeak chassis low RMS value I think that is a important parameter.

Last edited by Helmuth; 12th August 2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 16th August 2011, 05:02 PM   #42
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yesterday I did see a reaction of some one how thinks that PA drivers are poor transducers. Referring to the design of Earl Geddes the constant directivity is key feature. And you not need good drivers. Earl uses also low distortion hf-driver and mid-woofer, by coincidence he responded and I do not doubt that, but he also came to the conclusion after his research low SPL needs low distortion. And becomes less important at higher sound-pressure levels.

There are made some faults. A good HF-driver like a B&C DE250 or a BSM-pro Beyma or RCF 1" will be good and even better performing than a hifi dome tweeter what distortion is concerned. You have to compere both drivers at same spl not at the 1Watt mode. And with a good horn will create a constant acoutic-resistance and a nice constant SPL.

I did post the second and third harmonic of the monitor XL you see the horn has -20dB lower harmonics level than the hifi woofer witch performs somewhere at medium high level what distortion is concerned.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Helmuth; 16th August 2011 at 05:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!