looks like a scan speak 15w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i found from a local used speaker shop those speaker, looked like scan speak 15w, but not sure, their prices are amazing if they are real scan speak product, about $60 each! but before i bringing em home, can anybody here can help me to find out:
1 are they scan speak product anyway? at least do they look the same as anyone of scanspeak product?
2 can anybody help me to find out their model No.?
3 if there is anybody knows their T/S parameters will be greatful!

No matter how, Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 0b7a1c2a20774f10ac00fe5774a9c705.jpg
    0b7a1c2a20774f10ac00fe5774a9c705.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 79ef3de2b0df4c74a96dd324c3243ed5.jpg
    79ef3de2b0df4c74a96dd324c3243ed5.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 398
  • afc119160fc149abb883d98119e64577.jpg
    afc119160fc149abb883d98119e64577.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 393
these are most likely not real scanspeaks. look at cheaply made basket. If they made exact replica of scanspeaks' motor, it may be a good driver. Looks like progressive spider is copied correctly.

that's why i was not dared to buy even it was cheap enough, because i looked for it for a long time, but didn't found any exactly look the same one~
but anyway, i don't want a clone scan speak bcoz i can have a lot of good choices over that price.

Yes as badman asked, what's cheap about the basket? Personally I'd buy one just out of curiosity and see how it performs. One word of caution though, the coil looks to have probably 3-4mm of xmax and certainly not 6.5mm like a real 15W. The model number is also M15W, this might be a knock-off of a midrange driver rather then the mid/bass.

It is not a Scan Speak driver, As suggested it looks exactly like the copy drivers of Scan Speak T+A gets from Asia. There Vifa/Scan Speak looking ringradiator tweeter drivers T+A uses are also asian copyes. Sorry to see a European brand doing this, it is not like there products are cheap for the end user!!
The driver seems to be well made, also the basket, but how it performs is not known. As fare as I know the slices are not cut through the cone and glued again with damping glue? If you support people copying other peoples hard work, then this is the best driver for you to buy in my oppinion.

The slices look cut through and glued in the third picture.
That's how those Scan's are made.

And the lines aren't straight.
I think that's just the picture perspective. The cones are curvilinear to begin with.

The glue on the back looks a bit messy. That's probably one area where there is cost saving, consistency or lack thereof. The glue application is probably a costly part of the diaphragm.

Dave

That's how those Scan's are made.

I think that's just the picture perspective. The cones are curvilinear to begin with.

The glue on the back looks a bit messy. That's probably one area where there is cost saving, consistency or lack thereof. The glue application is probably a costly part of the diaphragm.

Dave

Well, look how much people are fussing with EnABL...I bet strange / inconsistent glue patterns probably play a large role in how they measure and sound.

Well, look how much people are fussing with EnABL...I bet strange / inconsistent glue patterns probably play a large role in how they measure and sound.
The point was that the typical 15W has better consistency. I've got two different version of the 15W. Both look excellent with regard to consistency, in contrast to what I see in the pictures here. It looks to be a driver contracted to Scan-Speak, but with cost-consciousness in mind.

Dave

Who knows if the diaphragm is actually slit? Maybe they have a machine that simply applies glue lines.

Also, the basket is plastic vs aluminum (to whoever said SS had a "powdery" finish), though there's nothing wrong with plastic as long as the basket is properly designed and the material properly specified.

The driver is not made by Scan Speak.

I can not understand anybody will buy this driver, even if it is an ok driver. Supporting someone that copy other peoples work, that is very low in my book.
Who makes it? I would expect Scan Speak to have a patent on the diaphragm technology. It may have expired. If it's still under patent, Scan Speak should take action. It's also possible that they licensed it.

I'm not fond of copying, either, but consider that all drivers today have utilized previous work going back many years.. This one is definitely based on appearance, though. If the performance is not comparable, as I suspect is the case if it's a copy, then that will become known.

We could go back to the first moving coil, direct radiator, loudspeaker made by Rice and Kellogg in 1921. Practically all dynamic drivers today could be called "copies" (refinements) of that basic technology.

Dave

Scan Speak does not have a patent on this. The cutting tool is so expensive at least in Europe that they expected no one would copy them.

I have no problems in other making cuts in another way that the Scan Speak Revelator woofers, but I feel it is to much when you copy a complete design.

A patent is only worth anything if you can not afford layors to persue all cases where your patent is violated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.