looks like a scan speak 15w - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2011, 05:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default looks like a scan speak 15w

i found from a local used speaker shop those speaker, looked like scan speak 15w, but not sure, their prices are amazing if they are real scan speak product, about $60 each! but before i bringing em home, can anybody here can help me to find out:
1 are they scan speak product anyway? at least do they look the same as anyone of scanspeak product?
2 can anybody help me to find out their model No.?
3 if there is anybody knows their T/S parameters will be greatful!

No matter how, Thanks for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0b7a1c2a20774f10ac00fe5774a9c705.jpg (58.6 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg 79ef3de2b0df4c74a96dd324c3243ed5.jpg (45.4 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg afc119160fc149abb883d98119e64577.jpg (41.5 KB, 357 views)
Old 27th July 2011, 05:52 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

It looks like a nice quality knockoff, has some significant differences, but is probably still a decent driver. You should find some data for them and post that!
Old 27th July 2011, 06:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

these are most likely not real scanspeaks. look at cheaply made basket. If they made exact replica of scanspeaks' motor, it may be a good driver. Looks like progressive spider is copied correctly.
Old 27th July 2011, 06:26 PM   #4
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
these are most likely not real scanspeaks. look at cheaply made basket. If they made exact replica of scanspeaks' motor, it may be a good driver. Looks like progressive spider is copied correctly.
What's cheaply made about the basket?
Old 27th July 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
that's why i was not dared to buy even it was cheap enough, because i looked for it for a long time, but didn't found any exactly look the same one~
but anyway, i don't want a clone scan speak bcoz i can have a lot of good choices over that price.
Old 27th July 2011, 07:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes as badman asked, what's cheap about the basket? Personally I'd buy one just out of curiosity and see how it performs. One word of caution though, the coil looks to have probably 3-4mm of xmax and certainly not 6.5mm like a real 15W. The model number is also M15W, this might be a knock-off of a midrange driver rather then the mid/bass.
Old 27th July 2011, 07:21 PM   #7
fabel is offline fabel  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hallo,

they seam to be costume made Scan´s for the German manufacturer T+A:

Produkte Einzelanzeige

Cheers Fabian
Old 28th July 2011, 02:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

cheaply made in comparison to real scanspeaks. nothing wrong with this basket, besides lesser cosmetics. scanspeak's basket has distinct shape and powdery finish.
Old 28th July 2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Hylle is offline Hylle  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It is not a Scan Speak driver, As suggested it looks exactly like the copy drivers of Scan Speak T+A gets from Asia. There Vifa/Scan Speak looking ringradiator tweeter drivers T+A uses are also asian copyes. Sorry to see a European brand doing this, it is not like there products are cheap for the end user!!
The driver seems to be well made, also the basket, but how it performs is not known. As fare as I know the slices are not cut through the cone and glued again with damping glue? If you support people copying other peoples hard work, then this is the best driver for you to buy in my oppinion.
Old 28th July 2011, 02:23 PM   #10
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

The slices look cut through and glued in the third picture.

Hide this!Advertise here!