Yes, Kef Kube is missing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if I disappoint, but I'm an engineer and musician not a hi-fi enthusiast. Once the distortion, hum and noise are acceptable, I try to listen to the music not the equipment. Even the same speakers can sound different on different occasions depending on the listener's mood and attention.

KEF 103/3 Need Kube SP-2115 Help!

I just scored a pair of l03/3's and the Kube did not come with them. Any and all help and advice greatly appreciated. They sound a little bright as they run by themselves, but are remarkable in the detail. Very efficient. At low levels, they are very nice. Would like to get a little more base. I expect that each model has a different EQ, so I want to try to get the right one.

KEF Kube 103|3 found

I just scored a pair of l03/3's and the Kube did not come with them. Any and all help and advice greatly appreciated. They sound a little bright as they run by themselves, but are remarkable in the detail. Very efficient. At low levels, they are very nice. Would like to get a little more base. I expect that each model has a different EQ, so I want to try to get the right one.

Howdy, this seems a particularly appropriate time for a first post: just picked up a KEF Kube 103|3 at thrift store yesterday. Heading back to beg myself into the warehouse to track down the (hypothetical) speakers, but not terribly hopeful.

Afterwards going to see what it does to my bass-light Triangle Titus XS bookshelf speakers, but certainly interested in discussing a trade if anyone's interested.

Cheers,
Dave

KEF 104/2

I have a pair of 104/2 that I purchased in 1991. They have the bi-wired upgrade. Were there other improvements made to the 104/2s during the changes of 1990.
Additionally, I bought the KUBE 200 with these speakers. How critical is its use to correcting the spectrum using current amplifiers? Very few have signal loop connections outside of tape loops.)

Thank you.

Get a minidsp with the Umik-1. Measure the speaker and do a correction curve. If it is the Kef R 107 or R107/2, you can find measurements of the Kubes transfer function on Stereophile.

These speakers need the Kube, as the crossover is phase and impedance corrected, and has no BSC, notch filters etc to fix the response. All the EQ is done in the Kube.

The R107 without the Kube will have a serious hump around 50-70Hz, no deep bass to speak of, and 3dB more tweeter level than intended. Without the Kube, it is seriously flawed. With it, it's a damn good speaker. (I've had a pair.)

Johan-Kr

There are specific Kube models for each different speaker model.

As said before - I think the best solution is to get a MiniDSP 2x4HD and a uMik, and simply use REW to make the appropriate correction curves.

The Kube is made with standard op-amps - no super, audiophile quality parts. The 2x4HD should do no worse, and has the added benefit of being able to do room correction.

Johan-Kr

Last edited:
107 Kube

I am considering purchasing a pair of the Kef 107s-these are the first iteration. You guessed it: NO K-UBE!!!
Will a vintage Soundcraftsman equalizer do the trick?
If not, how about a large old 15 inch Velodyne guess I need the SPEAKERGURU's guidance.
If the Soundcraftsman won't work, will a large 15" Velodyne do the trick?
Will a K-UBE from a 104/2 be better than nothing even if not the ideal substitute? If I find a higher up Kube: will the one from the 107/2 work? How about the Kube 200?
Thank you
Deep regards.
Ahmed

No, any vintage equalizer won’t do the trick, and neither will an extra sub or the Kube from a 104/2. You need something that will copy the characteristic of the original Kube. A minidsp can do that, and as a bonus, you can do room correction with it as well.

An old graphic equalizer is especially unsuited to the job. A parametric one can do some of the job, but not well.

Johan-Kr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.