Looking for low cost high Xmax 6" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi -

Does anybody know of a low cost higher Xmax (at least 4-6 mm peak and Xdamage of 12mm or better) 6" woofer with a reasonably robust power rating? It doesn't have to have a particularly low Fs or fancy basket. Anything between 45-80 hz is fine. Paper or plastic or metal cone is fine - paper, cloth or rubber surround ok also, but I don't want to use a driver with a foam surround.

This is for a special project where I need a number of these drivers (up to 20) (has some relationship to my HT speakers that I posted about), so I want to keep the cost down as much as possible.

I'm looking for something substantially cheaper than some of the Tang Band long throw drivers which would otherwise be suitable choices.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Aurasound NS6-255-8A Paper Cone Woofer - 8 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

Hi,

The above has good excursion but likely a "soft" BL curve, i.e. distortion
is not low and then suddenly increases massively if you exceed linear
excursion, more likely there is no clear excursion limit point.
Its a short coil big gap design.

Klippel discuss the issues in the distortion paper on their site.

rgds, sreten.

This probably also has decent excursion of the long coil short gap variety :
Peerless 830307 6.5" 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I will be looking more closely at at least two of them.

I don't intend to push whichever I use to Xdamage - I was asking because some long excursion speakers I've seen (and own, not my Aurasound NS3 knockoffs, btw, which have a healthy amount of excursion beyond Xmax) seem to have Xdamage not very much higher than Xmax.

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I will be looking more closely at at least two of them.

I don't intend to push whichever I use to Xdamage - I was asking because some long excursion speakers I've seen (and own, not my Aurasound NS3 knockoffs, btw, which have a healthy amount of excursion beyond Xmax) seem to have Xdamage not very much higher than Xmax.

From a pure xmax point, I don't think you can do much better than the exodus anarchy. They are kinda pricey though if you had to buy a lot of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.