2-way: Waveguide + Cardioid-like - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2011, 06:41 PM   #121
_Wim_ is offline _Wim_  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Earl has uploaded the data for my speaker: Polar_map
Is it the speaker listed as "Mensink"?
Old 1st December 2011, 06:47 PM   #122
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, that's the name of the guy who sent me the data. I don't know the history of who's speaker it is or who took the data.

I want to show the rear, but the cardiod nature gives me some trouble with the fitting routines since it assume a monopole at very low frequencies. I can fix that, but as all things it takes time. I bet everyone thought that I'd never get arround to do this much. (It was a nightmare - the code became unstable because of my "hack" programming and I had to go back several versions to get to something from which to rebuild the design.)
Old 1st December 2011, 07:18 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Yes, that's the name of the guy who sent me the data. I don't know the history of who's speaker it is or who took the data.

I want to show the rear, but the cardiod nature gives me some trouble with the fitting routines since it assume a monopole at very low frequencies. I can fix that, but as all things it takes time. I bet everyone thought that I'd never get arround to do this much. (It was a nightmare - the code became unstable because of my "hack" programming and I had to go back several versions to get to something from which to rebuild the design.)
Do you have different code for each set of measurements? I do not get the calculation errors if I look at the Mensink data, but I still do get them when I open for example the piston cap (unless I change my "Regional settings" off course)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piston cap.jpg (202.8 KB, 732 views)
File Type: jpg mensink.jpg (144.5 KB, 721 views)
Old 1st December 2011, 07:52 PM   #124
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, actually those data sets were done on different programs. Try the Abbey, it was redone on the new program as well. The polar cap was generated in MathCAD. If that works let me know and maybe I can track it down.
Old 1st December 2011, 08:54 PM   #125
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wim_ View Post
Is it the speaker listed as "Mensink"?
Quote:
Hi Earl,

It's been a couple months, but the guy who sent you the data is me , see 2-way: Waveguide + Cardioid-like

Your program is difficult to get to work at all, but once you do it serves as a great tool! Thanks for uploading the data. I'd like to see that data of the rear response, but I understand it will take you some time. Speaking of which, you've set a precedence .
Old 2nd December 2011, 06:26 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, actually those data sets were done on different programs. Try the Abbey, it was redone on the new program as well. The polar cap was generated in MathCAD. If that works let me know and maybe I can track it down.
You are correct, Abbey works ok also now.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:18 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

keyser, have you considered running the woofer in dipole and then absorbing the rear wave with a wide, thick shield of fiberglass (glass wool)? Of course this shield would need to be offset so as to allow proper dipole execution but if it was wide enough and thick enough you would be able to suppress a large amount of the rearward energy going into the room.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:23 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
keyser, have you considered running the woofer in dipole and then absorbing the rear wave with a wide, thick shield of fiberglass (glass wool)? Of course this shield would need to be offset so as to allow proper dipole execution but if it was wide enough and thick enough you would be able to suppress a large amount of the rearward energy going into the room.
I have no idea why I said this since this is exactly what you did.
Old 27th February 2013, 09:47 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Did anybody ask why the side walls were perforated instead of solid?
Old 27th February 2013, 10:39 PM   #130
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Did anybody ask why the side walls were perforated instead of solid?
Cardioid response.

Hide this!Advertise here!