2-way: Waveguide + Cardioid-like - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2011, 07:51 PM   #101
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Probably so, but thats not my interest. I have done audio all my life and I want to pass on what I have learned. (Can't teach it, that's not possible!) I think that the audio community could benefit greatly from the knowledge that I have gained. I am not really into it for the money actually (contrary to popular belief). Compared to past salaries that I have had, or my current consulting rate, making speakers is chump change. But still, I am not about to take a loss or not get paid for my time. That would just be stupid.
FWIW, you have taught an entire generation of DIYers about horns and taught them to call everything waveguides too Honestly there wouldn't be active threads on 4 different forums where the term waveguide, constant directivity, etc isnt bantered around without the ground work you did over the years.

Education and subjective banter can be completely separated online. The education has never been a problem for so many and it isnt ignored although the "Noise" moves the discussion away from what is important.
Old 2nd September 2011, 06:39 PM   #102
Tytte71 is offline Tytte71  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Keyser,

Do you have any news on the project, new measurements taken or listening impressions that you can share with us?

Cheers
Old 5th November 2011, 02:28 PM   #103
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytte71 View Post
Hi Keyser,

Do you have any news on the project, new measurements taken or listening impressions that you can share with us?

Cheers

It's been a while since I posted here, but doesn't mean I've been resting on my laurels! To begin with, I've finally generated a burst decay and I've done distortion measurements.

As I already said, the burst decay does not look nice. However, it doesn't really bother me. I've recently edited some sound files with an EQ-curve that looks more or less like the frequency response of the Selenium with the waveguide. The effect is very hard to discern in an ABX test, and only on specific material.

The distortion measurements were done in my room, but with the speaker set up as far as possible from the walls. The mic was at 1 meter. The level at 1 khz was about 100 dB, +/- 3 dB (calibrated SPL meter). The peak at 6.5k is real. It is audible on a sine-wave too. It is probably caused by a resonance, because there is an irregularity in the frequency response and impedance as well. It is also hardly dependent on level. I doubt it is audible on most music, but I may experiment with another driver in the future. I've got some BMS drivers on the shelve.

A more important development is that I've made some damping panels with a 4" layer of fiberglass, to damp early reflections. There's one on both sidewalls, two behind me and one at the frontwall. The effect is huge! RT went down from about 0.6 to 0.4, but what's probably more important, is that the ITDG is now almost 20 ms (ignoring the floor-reflection and ceiling reflection at -16 and -26 dB respectively)!

With the right recording the sound is now much more spacious and the direction of the speakers becomes difficult to identify. The room sounds as if it is much wider. Dry recordings sound a bit drier than they used to, but not to a disturbing extent. I'm a happy camper .

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wim_ View Post
@Earl

Did you have a closer look at the data Keyser has send you. I would really like to hear your opinion about them...

I tried to open your polar program on your website (to see if you had mayde uploaded keysers data), but the program is not working (see attached error log)

He has looked at it, but he hasn't mailed his polar plots to me yet. I've received no replies after my last few emails to him. He's mentioned several times in these forums lately that he's currently very busy. Maybe that's why.

By the way, I've never been able to look at the polar program either. Although I have windows and microsoft explorer, it just won't run.
Attached Images
File Type: png Distortion.png (58.0 KB, 592 views)
File Type: png Burst Decay.png (161.8 KB, 592 views)
Old 5th November 2011, 05:02 PM   #104
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
He has looked at it, but he hasn't mailed his polar plots to me yet. I've received no replies after my last few emails to him. He's mentioned several times in these forums lately that he's currently very busy. Maybe that's why.

By the way, I've never been able to look at the polar program either. Although I have windows and microsoft explorer, it just won't run.
Busy is half the story, the other half is that I screwed up. I started making some major changes to the software and its become unstable and won't run. That means that I have to go back through my backups and find a point where it was OK and start again. A lot of work, and I just have not found the time to do it. I intend to and even looked at the problem the last couple of days.

But I remain terribly backed up on just about everything that I do. It seems like I could keep on top of workloads like this years ago, but now I find that I have to slow down. My health is good, but I do spend a lot of time in doctors offices. I had a tooth catastrophy from a botched implant done in Thailand some years back that has cost me three teeth (and three new implants), some 5-7000 $ and almost bi-weekly dental visits. Oh well enough of my problems.

What error do you get trying to run the web software. It still works for me.

Last edited by gedlee; 5th November 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 6th November 2011, 04:32 AM   #105
_Wim_ is offline _Wim_  Belgium
diyAudio Member

This error seems very common:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.239
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.239 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
dfshim.dll : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)
SOURCES
Deployment url : http://www.gedlee.com/Polar_map.application
Server : Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By : ASP.NET
Application url : http://www.gedlee.com/Application%20...p.exe.manifest
Server : Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By : ASP.NET
IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : Polar_map.application, Version=1.1.0.15, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e3fbc8468c33b92b, processorArchitecture=x86
Application Identity : Polar_map.exe, Version=1.1.0.15, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e3fbc8468c33b92b, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32
APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Online only application.
* Trust url parameter is set.
ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://www.gedlee.com/Polar_map.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading http://www.gedlee.com/Application Files/Polar_map_1_1_0_15/Polar_map.exe.config.deploy did not succeed.
+ The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.
WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.
OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [11/6/2011 6:31:04 AM] : Activation of http://www.gedlee.com/Polar_map.application has started.
* [11/6/2011 6:31:07 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
* [11/6/2011 6:31:07 AM] : Installation of the application has started.
* [11/6/2011 6:31:08 AM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
* [11/6/2011 6:31:10 AM] : Found compatible runtime version 2.0.50727.
* [11/6/2011 6:31:10 AM] : Detecting dependent assembly Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil using Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil.
* [11/6/2011 6:31:10 AM] : Detecting dependent assembly System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil using System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil.
* [11/6/2011 6:31:10 AM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.
ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [11/6/2011 6:31:11 AM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadEx ception (Unknown subtype)
- Downloading http://www.gedlee.com/Application Files/Polar_map_1_1_0_15/Polar_map.exe.config.deploy did not succeed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader. DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader. DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Downl oad(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.Down loadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator .DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator .InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator .PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator .ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.WebException
- The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader. DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.
Old 6th November 2011, 04:36 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Do you run it from the pc on whoch you have some of the devellopment software used for the program? That could be the reason it works for you, but not for us (missing compononents or security policy). It used to run on my pc, but then something was changed.

On the older version I had to set my regional options in windows on "English -US", this probably due to the different use of points and comma's in Dutch and Englisch which resulted in calculation problems in your software.

But now this doesn't seem to help.

Hope you can fix it someday...
Old 6th November 2011, 09:57 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Hi Wim

Yes, I have only tried the program on a computer that is also a development platform and yes this sometimes makes the difference.

Clearly a foreign setup that uses commas and decimal point differently than the US will not run because the data files are a fixed US format and they will be read in as garbage if this standard is changed in the application.

So my question is now does everyone have a problem, or only a few, and mostly overseas people? As I think about it, it is usually EU people who have a problem. The comma as decimal point will mess everything up. Not sure if I can fix that.
Old 7th November 2011, 06:09 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

If I read the error log, I would think the following file is missing: Polar_map.exe.config.deploy

Googling a bit around, this can be caused by the building the solution for 'debug', instead of building it for 'release'. This could also explain why it works on your pc, as you have the necesarry softare running for debugging...
Old 7th November 2011, 07:09 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Thanks Wim - that makes a lot of sense. I almost certainly did not do the "release" build. I forgot all about that.
Old 7th November 2011, 10:29 PM   #110
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Thanks Wim - that makes a lot of sense. I almost certainly did not do the "release" build. I forgot all about that.
Earl your ap works right now for me using Firefox 3.6.23.

In my Firefox browser extensions I have Microsoft .Net Framework Assistant 1.2.1 "which adds Click Once support and the ability to report installed .Net Framework versions to to the webserver".

I'm running XP 32 with all updates and fixes and Service Packs.

I have in my machine .NET Framework versions 1.1 and 2.2 SP2 and 3.0 SP2. All of them with all updates and fixes.

I also have MS Silverlight 1.0.30401.0 installed.

My settings for everything in the computer that asks for them are N American

I have IE 8 installed with updates but I don't use it except to talk to Microsoft.

I suspect it works for me because of the.NET stuff and the Firefox extension. But, heck, I don't really know why it works!

Hide this!Advertise here!