Ultimate 2way speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2003, 06:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ultimate 2way speaker

Dear fellows,

I have a pair of Scanspeak D9900 Revelator tweeters and Scanspeak 18W8546/01 mid/woofers. With this combination of hardware does anyone have a suggestion for an ultimate 2 way speaker design?

Thanks
George
Old 22nd August 2003, 08:12 AM   #2
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
having used both in a similar combo (MTM in my case) i can say that while these drivers are good they cant be termed as ULTIMATE.
Old 22nd August 2003, 10:07 AM   #3
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

In the Speaker Builder's Speaker Projects#1, there is a Refference Monitor from Scan-Speak using those drivers. It looks beautifull, and from the measurement graphs and comments, I think that's my favourite along with Froy (Seas Excel)

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
having used both in a similar combo (MTM in my case) i can say that while these drivers are good they cant be termed as ULTIMATE.
Yeah... We know what you have built But Navin, I think you will agree with me that the performance range of speaker designs using similar drivers can be very large.
Old 22nd August 2003, 10:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

With these drivers you can build the design of audiocomponents:

Click the image to open in full size.

See the link below

click
Old 22nd August 2003, 12:59 PM   #5
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
In the Speaker Builder's Speaker Projects#1, there is a Refference Monitor from Scan-Speak using those drivers.Yeah... We know what you have built But Navin, I think you will agree with me that the performance range of speaker designs using similar drivers can be very large.
sure. thats why there are good speaker designers and bad speaker designers. one can produce a good design with average components or a bad design with good components. however as COMPONENTS go Scan Speak 8546 and 9900 are definitely not ULTIMATE in fact SS themselves have a few drivers that might be better.

U can make a very nice speaker using teh 8546 and 9900. The dutch design pointed out above/below is also quite good. i think they have a design with a series XO too.

while we are on this topic would u be interested in building a 2.5way instead? i dont know why but these the L-R ckt used for difraction step comp. seems to colour the sound in an odd way almost sort of deadens it. makes musinc lifeless. with a 2.5 way you can avoind that and get 3db more sens. a push push 2.5 way is even better. (a) it looks more un assumign considerig that only one woofer is visible from the front (b) 90eg. phase diff is compensated and (c) forces are reduced.

Hide this!Advertise here!