Something tells me I want a couple of these

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It would be cool to see a DIY project with that 5" coax and a horn similar to what Danley offers with a coax driver in it.
The DSL SH-100 works well because the speaker's cone is an extension of the 8" co-ax HF horn, and the cabinet employs a larger horn continuing the same angle of the speaker cone. This gives horn loading over a fairly wide range, and raises the mid sensitivity closer to the HF horn sensitivity.

This 5" driver has a fairly low power 90 dB circular ribbon coming in at around 8K, horn loading the speaker would not increase the HF sensitivity, only the mid sensitivity.

Horn loading would give more mid headroom over a fairly limited band, but would require a complex crossover/compensation network, and the added mid headroom would allow one to play it at tweeter frying level, since the tweeter is only capable of around 103 dB at one meter.

EDIT: missed that the mid only handles 5 watts RMS/10 watts, horn loading it may allow it to keep up with the tweeter LOL.

10 watts into 90 dB sensitivity, a whopping 100 dB at one meter, 94 dB at two meters full tilt boogie.

I can sing louder than that.

Last edited:
If it were $20, it might be interesting. But at that price, Speaker Exchange in Tampa is selling a current-generation 4.5" KEF Uni-Q for about 30 bucks more.

I know that driver's great, and the Hi-Vi 7" triax (spiral ribbon, ring mid, cone woofer) was just plain unworkable so I wouldn't have high expectations for this one.

Have you considered the TangBand flat pistoned drivers? I measured one a couple years back and they have astonishing polar response. As I understand it, your polar response has a lot to do with the shape of the cone.

So the TB could be a viable alternative, with a simpler crossover, and higher power handling and maximum output. (both xmax and thermal power handling are higher.)

It's a neat driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.