Use yellow glue on paper backed veneer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2011, 12:00 AM   #1
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Use yellow glue on paper backed veneer?

Has anyone ever used yellow glue on paper backed veneer? I accidentally bought some on ebay. Can I go ahead apply yellow glue on the paper side then iron on the veneer?
Old 14th July 2011, 12:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via MSN to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via Yahoo to John_E_Janowitz
A tip I posted on AVS earlier today would apply here. While typically you don't want to use contact cement on veneer, the 3M Fastbond 30nf neutral water based contact cement is great stuff. I use it on paper backed and nbl backed veneer and have for about 4 years now. Roll it on both sides with a roller and let dry completely. The only mistake I had made originally was not waiting long enough for it to fully dry. You can leave it for several house if necessary. Make sure you scuff the paper backing with 80-100 grit or it can be shiny and contact cement won't stick well to it. The 3M water based contact cement doesn't reactivate with heat as many solvent based contact cements do. Block it down with a lot of pressure. I use the corner edge of a soft maple block to get lots of pressure. Rub with the grain and it won't harm the veneer at all if you hold it straight.

I tried the yellow glue method, and it can stick, but it's really designed to flow into the pores of wood to fully hold. Reheating it with an iron you'll never get that kind of bond.

John
Old 14th July 2011, 12:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dont use yellow glue because it will never fully harden. During hot days it will start to unglue
Old 15th July 2011, 04:20 PM   #4
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response.
I've used yellow glue before but only on regular veneer so I am not sure how it's going to react to the paper materials.
I think the trick to use yellow glue effectively is after applying the yellow glue to the substrate and veneer, one should not wait too long. I've had better success if I only waited until the glue just dried out.
Old 17th July 2011, 02:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

While I'm sure how well it will work with paper-backed veneer, Fine Woodworking magazine had an article about 12 years back describing a technique where you apply yellow glue to both the substrate and the veneer, let it cure and then use an iron to bond the veneer to the substrate.

I've always wanted to try this, I've just never gotten around to it.

apoopoo99 - How hot does it get where you are? ;-)
Old 17th July 2011, 03:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

apoopoo99 - How hot does it get where you are? ;-)[/QUOTE]

Summertime outside tempts are 85-95 f
Old 17th July 2011, 04:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've used yellow glue on paper backed veneer on a few projects, works well, the only caveat is that if you're using MDF it really soaks up the glue particularly if you have any exposed end grain. So I would recommend at least 2 coats of glue, then run your hand over the entire project and if you feel any rough patches it means you don't have a thick enough layer of glue on that particular spot so recoat and try again. Hope that helps

Hide this!Advertise here!