Best woofer, midrange, tweeter, on your diy project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No Altec guys here ? :D I would have to go with the Altec 416B in small to medium BR cabs and the 515B in very large BR cabs (210).But will need 411 subs down low.

For the HF, 802G's - 902-8A's and for larger apps the 288-G,H,'s also 299's the 30 pounders ! on any large Tar-filled Multi ! :worship:

Even 604 G,H's sound great in a good cabinet in a small room application. ;)

2-Ways Rule !!!!

Last edited:
"BEST" for all never exists since every application its own specific drivers.

My application is high end custom HT design...Dome tweeters, weak little woofers need not apply at all.

Best performance woofer

AV15 series or TD series driver from AESPeakers, nothing better for high performance systems.

Best sound critical listening woofer, If critical music listening and dynamic SPL peaks isnt a priority.

Accuton if done right is simply one of the best (measurements back this up).

Best high performance tweeter
Right now the TAD CDs have blown every other CD out of the water (1" or 2"), Im simply amazed at the differences.

Best critical listening tweeter
Ribbon tweeters, I own Neopro5i ribbons. Not the absolute best but still an incredible ribbon and if XOed with the right mid range its simply sounds and measures like few domes.

If it has to be a dome then it might as well be a Hiquphon OW series choices!!

Everything will have a budget $$ priority to it. You either build based on absolute performance or you have to compromise based on budget. The difference can be a splitting hairs thing too but the last couple of percentage improvements always cost exponentially more money.

Last edited:
Impressive. I mostly like two way speakers, full range is nice in theory but it is not for nothing lots of people add super tweeters and or bass extension to really go full range, three way or more is to much crossover for me. This could be the missing link.

Im with you. 2 way speaker designs limits the compromises then we just require a high quality bass bin design with real woofers that run from 20Hz to 200Hz.

super tweeters are just an audiophile thing for those who think they can hear 18KHz and then think its actually meaningful ;)

Absolutely, the OP simply asked what we use with no questions about budget.

I have many < $100 1" CDs sitting around. I have several ribbon drivers unused and a box of domes (SB29s) never used. I have $69 15" woofers and $900 18" woofers....I simply want to know the absolute truth about all things audio (Yes, I have had $5K worth of cables in my house too ;) )

at some point its nice to know why a $15K speaker costs that much and its nice to know there is a difference between high cost and low cost drivers. Its all choice after that, we all have to choose what we are willing to pay for increased performance. Sometimes it just isnt worth it....sometimes it is.

Last edited:
Sometimes it just isnt worth it.

Exactly ! For the tiny improvement that you can actually distinguish,as my hearing is starting to fade a tiny bit I think, it is going to cost you a small fortune.Is it worth it ? For many, No.For some, yes.

I guess my statement was for Dollar for Dollar you won't find much better than the vintage Altecs IMHO.I can put together a nice sounding system for under a grand (2-way) even better one for $2G and so on! Long Live Altec Lansing ! :D

I still have brand new Altec Lansings in their original packing too,HF drivers and woofers.Never seen power yet.But that is going to change very soon.I have a brand new pair of 802-8G's with the lite fram in them still (23744) that I can't wait to put to use.:)

4e3e02c2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.