Speakers finished pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
navin said:
drivers used?

Morel Navin, The web site only mentions the mid which is an MDM55. The tweeter I'll take a wild guess as being an MDT32 and the base driver maybe an MW166?

Very nice. Since I'm contemplating building some speakers with Morel drivers (though not the ones you have used) My question is how do they sound!!

Regards,

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
navin said:
i have only used the MDT33. it is not bad compared to the 9900 it is a little lispy. however it does not bite like the 9900. the 99000 can get ugly occasionaly. in the price range of the mdt32 i'd prefer the 9500. best value for money.

Sorry Navin, the how do they sound was aimed at stew :) but thanks for the feedback :)

Tony.

Thanks for the comments!
Yeah the tweeter is a MDT 32-s, mid MDM55 and the bass driver MW266, This was my first attempt at diy.

The sound/music seems very natural with good depth, no obvious anomalies that stand out, the sound stage seems pretty accurate and I was surprised with the large sweetspot. I think I could increase the output from the tweeter by another 1-2db. I have them sitting more off axis, Bass is tight and keeps up pace but not very deep, I have a well integrated sub that takes over so that don’t matter.

The mid/tweet crossover point is quite high so I think this is good when using a cheap tweeter. but I cant fault it's smoothness, certainly not edgy or brash. The mid's clarity is outstanding but it's a pity it doesn’t go a bit lower for the sake of the crossover point. An ATC sm75 costs far too much!! There may be just a very very slight smear in the lower mid but I have to be really really listening out for it on certain pieces of music but it's not something you’d notice if you didn’t know to look for it. still it's all about compromises in the end.
:nod:

It's been a very steep learning curve and a lot of fun. Now time to start my next project :devily:

Stew.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Stew320 said:
Thanks for the comments!
Yeah the tweeter is a MDT 32-s, mid MDM55 and the bass driver MW266, This was my first attempt at diy.

Well I must say it is a pretty impressive first attempt!!!!!

The sound/music seems very natural with good depth, no obvious anomalies that stand out, the sound stage seems pretty accurate and I was surprised with the large sweetspot. I think I could increase the output from the tweeter by another 1-2db. I have them sitting more off axis, Bass is tight and keeps up pace but not very deep, I have a well integrated sub that takes over so that don’t matter.

I'm assuming from the pics that it's a sealed enclosure, which would explain the Bass being tight but not too deep, but as you say with the sub, not an issue.

The mid/tweet crossover point is quite high so I think this is good when using a cheap tweeter. but I cant fault it's smoothness, certainly not edgy or brash. The mid's clarity is outstanding but it's a pity it doesn’t go a bit lower for the sake of the crossover point. An ATC sm75 costs far too much!! There may be just a very very slight smear in the lower mid but I have to be really really listening out for it on certain pieces of music but it's not something you’d notice if you didn’t know to look for it. still it's all about compromises in the end.
:nod:

I liked the look of the MDM55 (I have a 15 year old phillips dome mid) but the not going so low was the turn off for me. Have done that and want to try something different :) My compromise will probably end up being more consistency through the midrange but probably not as detailed/transparent.

It's been a very steep learning curve and a lot of fun. Now time to start my next project :devily:

Stew.

Well I'm still on the journey, and all I can say is if I come up with something that looks even half as good as your effort I will be very pleased indeed :)

Regards,

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.