DSP + passive XO hybrid? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
tommus is offline tommus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DSP + passive XO hybrid?

Is there any sense in using a hybrid of DSP and a passive crossover on a speaker?

I am thinking about a 2.1 channel system with open baffle panels and a sub (maybe dipole, maybe boxed) It will be used for small spaces/moderate levels connected to a computer or portable device.

I will use the miniDSP 2x4 for the lowpass on the sub (with it's own amp) and send the mid/high to the 2-way panels through a 2 ch. amp and simple XO (drivers and XO yet to be chosen/designed...)

My thinking is to use the passive XO only for bandpass duties (and tweeter protection) and use the active EQ on the miniDSP for baffle comp, level adjustment, etc. on the 2-way panels before the amplification stage. Then I can use a single amp and my tube buffer.

Any reason not to try this?
Old 8th July 2011, 08:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommus View Post
Is there any sense in using a hybrid of DSP and a passive crossover on a speaker?

I am thinking about a 2.1 channel system with open baffle panels and a sub (maybe dipole, maybe boxed) It will be used for small spaces/moderate levels connected to a computer or portable device.

I will use the miniDSP 2x4 for the lowpass on the sub (with it's own amp) and send the mid/high to the 2-way panels through a 2 ch. amp and simple XO (drivers and XO yet to be chosen/designed...)

My thinking is to use the passive XO only for bandpass duties (and tweeter protection) and use the active EQ on the miniDSP for baffle comp, level adjustment, etc. on the 2-way panels before the amplification stage. Then I can use a single amp and my tube buffer.

Any reason not to try this?

It makes perfect sense.
Old 9th July 2011, 08:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I agree also that it's a very promising idea, especially for those who like to spend a bit more on amps.
Old 9th July 2011, 01:03 PM   #4
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Im not sure if this is the same thing but for many years I have added bass bins (high performance subwoofer designs that run from 20Hz to 200Hz) to any main speaker I have owned making that speaker a full range design. I have used the DCX and the MiniDSP with great success.

If you do use the MiniDSP and you require > .9Vrms output to your amp for full power then you need the Balanced version that offers 2V.
Old 9th July 2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Makes sense indeed.

Hide this!Advertise here!