DSP + passive XO hybrid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any sense in using a hybrid of DSP and a passive crossover on a speaker?

I am thinking about a 2.1 channel system with open baffle panels and a sub (maybe dipole, maybe boxed) It will be used for small spaces/moderate levels connected to a computer or portable device.

I will use the miniDSP 2x4 for the lowpass on the sub (with it's own amp) and send the mid/high to the 2-way panels through a 2 ch. amp and simple XO (drivers and XO yet to be chosen/designed...)

My thinking is to use the passive XO only for bandpass duties (and tweeter protection) and use the active EQ on the miniDSP for baffle comp, level adjustment, etc. on the 2-way panels before the amplification stage. Then I can use a single amp and my tube buffer.

Any reason not to try this?

Is there any sense in using a hybrid of DSP and a passive crossover on a speaker?

I am thinking about a 2.1 channel system with open baffle panels and a sub (maybe dipole, maybe boxed) It will be used for small spaces/moderate levels connected to a computer or portable device.

I will use the miniDSP 2x4 for the lowpass on the sub (with it's own amp) and send the mid/high to the 2-way panels through a 2 ch. amp and simple XO (drivers and XO yet to be chosen/designed...)

My thinking is to use the passive XO only for bandpass duties (and tweeter protection) and use the active EQ on the miniDSP for baffle comp, level adjustment, etc. on the 2-way panels before the amplification stage. Then I can use a single amp and my tube buffer.

Any reason not to try this?

It makes perfect sense.

Im not sure if this is the same thing but for many years I have added bass bins (high performance subwoofer designs that run from 20Hz to 200Hz) to any main speaker I have owned making that speaker a full range design. I have used the DCX and the MiniDSP with great success.

If you do use the MiniDSP and you require > .9Vrms output to your amp for full power then you need the Balanced version that offers 2V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.