Enclosure for a Peerless XLS10 needed. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Kram is offline Kram  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Smile Enclosure for a Peerless XLS10 needed.

Hello all,

I hope some nice person can help me out.
I just bought a Peerless XLS 10 from Bk electronics for 89 (the cheapest I have seen it for over here ).
Any way I need a box to put it in and since i dont know much about speaker design i thought I would see if any one on this forum had any designs or web addresses of where I could find one.

I am not botherd if the design is sealed or ported but i want to stay away from the passive radiator because that will cost me another 70-80.

The sub will be used for home theater using the sub out on the surround reciever and powered by Rod Elliots 300W sub amp.

I hope someone can help

thank you
Mark.
Old 20th August 2003, 06:42 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You don't say which XLS 10, and the car audio one actually sims marginally better, though neither are really suitable for HT. The car one due to a high Fs and the home version due to extremely low Qts. Also, both require extremely long vents and why the PRs are recommended. A Daline type cab can be designed for both versions to take advantage of the long vent, but it's more complex to build and will require fine tuning.

So, which one do you have?

GM
Old 20th August 2003, 04:01 PM   #3
Kram is offline Kram  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I did not know there was more than one type of XLS 10, well any way the part number on its back is 830452.

I am willing to try any enclosure as long as its not huge.
what is a Daline type cab?

thanks for the help.
Mark.
Old 20th August 2003, 04:05 PM   #4
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure that a Daline is a transmission line enclosure with two folds.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's one from Solen.
Old 21st August 2003, 02:34 AM   #5
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

For those looking for the Thiele-Small parameters, here they are from the Peerless web page. This is the "5/8 ohm" version, meant for home. The car version is the "2/4 ohm" version or some such. Basically, the car version is a 2 ohm, the home version is a 4 ohm.

This is the home version.
Attached Images
File Type: gif peerless xls 10 in 8 ohm.gif (9.7 KB, 1428 views)
Old 21st August 2003, 02:45 AM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

As I read about Dalines, the thought occurs to me that the Peerless XLS series would be excellent for one. That is because they seem to work well with low Qts woofers, which the Peerless XLS certainly seems to be.

What is a Daline? It is a combination of Transmission Line and Ported system where the port is so long that it becomes a Transmission Line itself. The port takes up about 2/3 the volume of the whole cabinet-volume of air behind the speaker is about 1/3 the total volume. In other words,instead of putting the speaker at one end of a long tube, (Transmission Line), or a large box with a small port, (Bass Reflex or Ported), you put the speaker into a specially designed small enclosure with a long, large port. When well designed, you get the benefit of both Ported and Transmission Line action.

Our own member Martin J King has made simulation software for our use. However, he bases the simulation software on a program called MathCAD. Although the simulation software works with the freeware MathCAD demo, I am personally having difficulty "getting the hang" of it. However, you might get somebody on here who knows how to use the software to model it for you.
Old 21st August 2003, 03:38 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I did not know there was more than one type of XLS 10, well any way the part number on its back is 830452.

I am willing to try any enclosure as long as its not huge.
what is a Daline type cab?

thanks for the help.
Mark.

====

Evening,

I didn't either until I went searching for specs. Anyway, you have the low Fs/low Q one so the little Solen cab is about the best you can do WRT LF extension, with a simmed acoustic F3 = ~55Hz/~30Hz Fb.

A Daline is basically a slightly oversized max flat vented alignment with a long vent to tune it much lower than normal, so only is applicable with low Q, and preferably low Vas, drivers.

With a Daline type cab tuned to 30Hz, the FR is a bit flatter than the sealed, with a faster roll off to a ~50Hz F3, but the tradeoff is less output below F3 with decreasing frequency. Not good for HT or music.

Oversizing the Daline yields a ~40hz F3, with more efficiency to ~30Hz, but the roll off still puts it several dB down at 20Hz Vs the sealed. Still, it if will perform as predicted, it looks like a good compromise.

These are just initial sims in BoxPlot to get the numbers to plug into Mathcad though, so let me know if you'd rather go this route than the sealed and I'll run the final sims for construction dims.

GM
Old 21st August 2003, 04:54 AM   #8
Oris642 is offline Oris642  Canada
diyAudio Member

For an interesting design using this exact speaker see www.linkwitzlab.com
Old 21st August 2003, 01:34 PM   #9
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

What Oris was referring to was the folded dipole Phoenix speaker on the web page of Siegfried Linkwitz, who is a renowned audio engineer, (even has a kind of crossover type half-named after him, the Linkwitz-Riley type, so famous you will sometimes see DIYers refer to their crossovers as "LR 4th order").

The driver Linkwitz used for this folded dipole is the 12 inch version of your speaker, the 830500. Also, Linkwitz makes it clear that this is only the third best woofer for this box.

However, Linkwitz does recommend the Peerless XLS, and the fact is, the 10" Kram owns has very similar Thiele-Small specs to the 12" version, so I see no reason it should not work just as well. Just adjust the cutouts for the 10" version and you should be fine.

Here is the page where Linkwitz shows the box in question:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm

Here is the page where he shows the performance of the XLS woofer in question. The 10" XLS should be very close to this:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer3.htm
Old 21st August 2003, 03:45 PM   #10
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, the Peerless 830500 is Siegfried's first choice for use in the dipole baffle of the Phoenix system. The Shiva woofer http://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer2.htm being unsuitable and the Madisound 1252DVC woofer http://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm being no longer available. This usage has completely different requirements than the box system contemplated here.

I see no reason why the 10" version of this driver 830452 can't be used successfully in a sealed box of moderate size with good results. The low Qts is indicative of a very strong motor, and installation into a sealed box is the preferred usage for this driver. I just ran the simulation and a 28 liter enclosure yields a system Q in the neighborhood of 0.5. Nearly optimal IMHO.

You may be interested in the Thor design page which contains excellent information on a sealed box example using an 830500. There is much generic information here that can be used when designing/constructing/equalizing sealed boxes for different drivers.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-intro.htm

Cheers,

Davey.

Hide this!Advertise here!